1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please help flesh is showing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hundleychickens, Sep 18, 2014.

1. hundleychickens

hundleychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2014
    Gales Creek, Oregon
    One of my 20 week old leghorns head is torn open and i don't know what to do. i don't have "chicken medicine" and i have never had to deal with anything like this and i would rather not cull it

2. hundleychickens

May 16, 2014
    Gales Creek, Oregon
    [​IMG]

3. hundleychickens

May 16, 2014
    Gales Creek, Oregon
    Sorry for the blurry picture my 6 year old took the pic

4. hundleychickens

May 16, 2014
    Gales Creek, Oregon
    This might be a better picture will it heal?
    [​IMG]

5. mightymax

mightymax Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    Can you see bone or anything else besides the flesh? Do you know how it happened and what have you done to it so far? Have you cleaned it or put anything on it yet?

6. hundleychickens

May 16, 2014
    Gales Creek, Oregon
    I have no clue how it happened all the chickens where In the coop so I shut their door and went in to make sure everyone was there and ok like i always do and to check on the baby chicks we just got today. She was sitting up on the brooder box with a older hen. She was with an older hen on the box. I had to take her out side so I could see better once I saw is I went inside the coop with her to check to see if there was any evidence on any of the other chickens or where she was sitting and not a drop of blood in sight. She likes to sit up on the fence like a naughty little bird and has bent it. It could have caught on the fence it was to dark to really see. My cousin suggested a predator got to it. Although they have a pretty good canopy of branches above them that is a possibility.
    As for what I did nothing but put her in a cage in the coop so no one would be able to peck at it. I have no clue what to do my grandma suggested in the morning use peroxide on it.

7. hundleychickens

May 16, 2014
    Gales Creek, Oregon
    Oh and no bone that i can tell. But it does have a flap it looks like that i did not want to move. When i picked her up she didn't fuss at all.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    You'd be better off using a 50/50 betadine water mixture flushing the wound, do your best to avoid her eyes. Then pack the effected area with neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment. Continue to pack with antibiotic ointment until healed.
    Keep her caged and provide her feed and water.

9. hundleychickens

May 16, 2014
    Gales Creek, Oregon
    Thank you! I will do that and I put food and water in her cage as soon as I put her in there and she ate it all up not a crumb on the floor. I hope she gets better quickly.

10. hundleychickens

May 16, 2014
    Gales Creek, Oregon
    hmm I'm not so sure it wasn't one of my other chickens that did it to her. EVERY one of them today seemed in a grumpy mood and was picking on (that's putting it nicely) each other as soon as i let them out this morning. it could just be they are acting like that because they know one of them is hurt... hopefully [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by