1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help! Found a chicken and it's not okay with our other two.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Renown, Nov 25, 2009.

1. Renown

Renown New Egg

Nov 25, 2009
    California
    So, my friend, the owner of the chicken was at school and she found children beating up on Magnus, this chicken here:
    [​IMG]
    Is it male or female? And what breed. I was thinking catalana, but BYC said that they were rare to North America, and we live in California. Is he/she even fully grown?

Unfortunately, Maggie, does not get along so well with Ellie and Peep, the other two chickens that she got through her little brother's first grade experiment. They are larger, and potentially older than Magnus, so we don't know what to do.
    Here is one, we think it is a rooster:
    [​IMG]

Here is the other, pretty sure it's a hen:
    [​IMG]

Ellie and Peep are inseparable. The one we assume to be a Hen, named Peep, is perfectly fine with Magnus, however, the assumed Rooster, will peck him on his back. Right between his two wings, and tries to pluck feathers. Is this a dominance battle, or is it deadly aggression? Should we just let them have at it? Or separate them? What should we do?

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:I think that Magnus is a hen, not sure about the breed though.

Here is one, we think it is a rooster:
    http://img260.imageshack.us/img260/6725/1125091619.jpg

Definitely a roo!

Here is the other, pretty sure it's a hen:
    http://img686.imageshack.us/img686/4862/1125091620.jpg

Agreed.

Ellie and Peep are inseparable. The one we assume to be a Hen, named Peep, is perfectly fine with Magnus, however, the assumed Rooster, will peck him on his back. Right between his two wings, and tries to pluck feathers. Is this a dominance battle, or is it deadly aggression? Should we just let them have at it? Or separate them? What should we do?

It sounds like standard rooster behavior. Don't be surprised when he starts jumping on them!

How big is Magnus? Is she a lot smaller than the others?​

3. Renown

Renown New Egg

Nov 25, 2009
    California
    Lots smaller.

We are confused about her because she's half their size, but she has bigger poop. So we were thinking maybe she is older than them because of that.

This is our first time with Chickens, so sorry if poo size is irrelevant. Lol

She looks fully mature, you can see that Ellie and Peep still have growing to do, an example is their crests and such, Maggie's is more developed, has ridges and everything. But if Maggie is a hen, why would our rooster have a problem with her?

4. Princess Amri

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:I may be wrong but she looks a bit like a Nankin.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    "magnus" needs a name change, she's a pretty girlie, a bantam breed perhaps - although I'm not sure which breed exactly, she has that delicate refined look about her.

6. Princess Amri

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:How about Kooshie Wildsky?

7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Also you can't really just throw chickens together and they'll get along, they need to get used to each other - better with a barrier fence between them for a couple of weeks at least.

Also chickens being introduced should be quarantined for at least 30 days before being introduced in case of disease or illness.

8. Sillystunt

Sillystunt Master of the Silly

Jul 11, 2008
    Winter Haven, FL
    OMG, please tell me you quarintined it for 30 days before you let it near your other hens? That is the standard! You don't want to infect your chickens with anything it might have. Always use bio security for new chickens!!!!!!!!!

As for pecking, they will get over it! There is order and they will establish it on their own. Just make sure you have plenty of space for then to run if they start it up.
    Congrats on your find! It is cute~ looks like a hen maybe a bantam brred. Does it have feathered feet? maybe an Old English Game Bantam. She looks like a buff one a little

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:How about Kooshie Wildsky?

Perfect! [​IMG]

10. Renown

Renown New Egg

Nov 25, 2009
    California
    Quote:Sounds. Perfect! It even says they are small on the website I checked. And the pictures I saw were spot on except for the crest. Her crest isn't red, or all that large yet. But she could be growing. If she's young it would make perfect since. Thank you so much!

What do you think I should do with her and the roo? Should I let them fight? I just don't want the little one to be hurt...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by