PLEASE HELP Found hen behind freezer hurt, ???

SilverJeep

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jun 20, 2007
Northeast, TN
We found one of our red stars behind the freezer in the garage. she was upside down and there was an egg next to her. (probably only been there a day or two, tops)

When we took her out, It looked like her entire rectum was inverted and hanging out of her. It was bright red and the size of an egg. She appears to be in pain, but I wanted to check here first to see if there are any other options than the obvious.

...can post pics if needed, but it will be graphic.

Tried gently pushin it back in and that didn't work.

Could it be a partially undeveloped egg?

Please Help...................................

It's a prolapse...do a search and I think there may be threads on how to treat it.

BTW...Did Michael recover from his injuries last year? His 2 brothers are still here and protecting the flock.

Robin416 had a bird once that had an egg "stuck" and she had to cut to get it out...I am sending her the link to this thread and asking her to help you...(I feel you should first see if this is the case because if it is not going to come out 'naturally" you may be able to make an incision and get it out as Robin did once ... )

You need to keep the area moist...flush it with sterile saline first (you can make this yourself by boiling 1/4 tsp salt in a quart of water for five minutes) then apply KY gelly (this is a personal lubricating gel you can get at your pharmacy/drugstore) to keep it moist until you can talk to Robin.

I'm here Diana, I found the post.

Email me pics to [email protected]. We'll see if it is the same as my girl or not. This is not a procedure I feel comfortable posting directly on the board.

Do you have her on poultry electrolytes? If not its very important that you get her one them. If you email me give me all the info you can think of. Since you're in TN we might do this over the phone.

Good luck.

Robin, emailed pics.

My wife's been pushing it back in and using Prep H.

She's isolated, quiet, eating and drinking good. My wife's had to push it back in about 4 times so far today.

Quote:
He kinda did. He pretty much hopped around on one leg only. That bumped him from the top Roo position. We had 2 other Roos besides him. They picked on him constantly and he couldn't fight back. Then, he got MEAN with our kids. And i mean MEAN. He didn't mess with me but would attack my 10, 8, and 3 year old. Then he started attacking my wife. It was a shame, my wife loved him more than just about any other pet we've ever had. I had to put him down.

It appears to be a prolapse. A large (the size of an egg) prolapse. My wife has tried pushing it back about 4 times. The first couple of times the hen held it in for several hours. Now it comes right out.

What is this. If we were to puncture it, would it stay in? Would that guarantee infection. I don't want to give up on her, but I don't want to put her through more suffering. Any one else have any ideas.

Thanks, SilverJeep

* Don't puncture it!!! Send a pm to dlhunicorn for some advice. Or, post a shout-out to some of the folks who've had success with prolapses. There is a generally recommended procedure, I believe, though I don't know how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom