PLEASE HELP - four mystery chicks - very suspicious of cockerels

ib2150

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Ohhh, I have a few suspicious chicks and I really need your help. We live in the city and cannot get away with four roosters. Please give us the good news
bow.gif

Meet Red, he (most likely) is a 6.5 week old Rhode Island Red. His feet are pretty large but he is 1 week older than my other chicks. I guess I just wanted a confirmation that he is a cockerel to let go of any remaining hope of his being otherwise. I have some more pictures at the end of Red next to other chicks for comparison.

This is Pepper and she is a 5.5 week old Barred Rock. She is the same size as my other pullet Mango (Buff Oprington), who is definitely a pullet. So I am hoping Pepper is girl, however, this week that comb is looking pink.

This is Penguin and she/he a 5.5 week old Black Mottled D'uccle. She (hoping) is considerably smaller than her sisters due to her breed, but that comb is slowly getting bigger.

This Barred Rock baby is 3.5 weeks old and doesn't have a name yet (pending on gender). That spiky comb makes me nervous.

Here are some pictures of these girls (or boys) for comparison. First one is Red and Penguin and the second one is Red and Pepper.

Last edited:
I have a few suspicious chicks and I really need your help. We live in the city and cannot get away with four roosters. Please give us the good news
bow.gif

Meet Red, he (most likely) is a 6.5 week old Rhode Island Red. His feet are pretty large but he is 1 week older than my other chicks. I guess I just wanted a confirmation that he is a cockerel to let go of any remaining hope of his being otherwise. I have some more pictures at the end of Red next to other chicks for comparison.

Cockerel.

This is Pepper and she is a 5.5 week old Barred Rock. She is the same size as my other pullet Mango (Buff Oprington), who is definitely a pullet. So I am hoping Pepper is girl, however, this week that comb is looking pink.

I'm going to say pullet for now.

This is Penguin and she/he a 5.5 week old Black Mottled D'uccle. She (hoping) is considerably smaller than her sisters due to her breed, but that comb is slowly getting bigger.

Cockerel.

This Barred Rock baby is 3.5 weeks old and doesn't have a name yet (pending on gender). That spiky comb makes me nervous.

Not sure, but I'm going to guess pullet.

The red is a roo, and the barreds are both pullets. I'm not sure on the d'uccle...I'd sure expect to see more color at this age, but I'm really not familiar with this breed.

Back
Top Bottom