Please Help - Funny tasting eggs . . .

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by anthony5233, Aug 12, 2010.

1. anthony5233

anthony5233 New Egg

Aug 12, 2010
    Hello,
    I'm new on the Forum - in fact, I just registered in hopes of getting some feedback about the condition of my eggs. I have three backyard hens, a Red, a Barred Rock, and an Americana. I've kept a few chickens for about three years now and have always enjoyed great eggs but have noticed a couple of changes in the last six months or so. First, my Americana - she is older (maybe four or so) but is still a pretty decent layer. However, several months ago I noticed that the yolks of her eggs have a slightly bitter flavor. They look fine and there is no unusual texture or flavor in the whites. The flavor is distinctly different from the eggs of the other hens even though they eat the same things and live in identical conditions. The other two are also consistent layers and their eggs taste just fine but the texture of the whites of their eggs is a bit watery. That is, when cooked, the whites don't set to an even firm consistency but remain a bit "loose."
    All three have the run of my yard at all times so they graze on the Bermuda grass a lot (I live in Arizona), and eat the local bugs, of course. I feed them commercial lay pellets, some scratch feed (not so much in the summer heat) and kitchen scraps. They do eat a lot of over-spill from a hanging bird feeder. The Rock, on occasion, will lay an egg that is almost white (not the usual medium brown) that has a VERY thin shell. When this happens, she usually lays the egg somewhere other than in the nest box.
    Overall, they all seem very healthy and happy.
    So, any ideas about possible reasons for the inconsistency in egg flavor/quality would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks very much.
    Anthony

2. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I am new to chickens, but I read something on one of the forums about the possibility of infectious bronchitis if the egg whites are watery. You may want to research that. Hopefully, someone else will respond who knows more about them.

3. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    Oh, by the way, welcome to BYC!

4. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    [​IMG]

My guess would be that your girl is eating something odd that is causing the eggs to taste off. Maybe a bug or a particular plant that the others don't eat. [​IMG]

As for the soft-shells, try feeding some oyster shell grit. It gives them enough calcium to produce really nice shells. [​IMG]

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Can't help you with your question since I've never come upon that problem yet.

Just wanted to say [​IMG]

Missi

6. anthony5233

anthony5233 New Egg

Aug 12, 2010
    Thanks for the responses and words of welcome - much appreciated. I'll try the oyster grit and keep researching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by