Please Help Gertie Girl

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chickadee05, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Chickadee05

Chickadee05 New Egg

Nov 22, 2016
    [​IMG]We have just brought 4 RHRs and we're told they were 5wks x2 & 3wks x2 but a week later we noticed we have noticed they are more 2,4,6,8wks old.
    All are eating and drinking very well but the youngest is now sleeping a lot n looks like she's trying to crow. I'm very worried about my "Gertie Girl"
    Please help as my daughter will be devastated if we lose her.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2016
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Chickadee05, and :welcome! Pleased you joined but sorry to hear about your sick chick. I am wondering if Gertie is being picked on by the older birds? Have you examined her for injury or signs of pain or distress? My best advice is to post as much detailed information as possible about her condition, diet, living conditions - anything that might be relevant - into the this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
    The folks there may be able to give you some help. Good luck to you and Gertie! :)

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I do agree with Redsoxs, being the youngest she probably is being bullied away from food & water, and maybe pecked at also. Chicks are like that, and as they mature they continue the pecking order.

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello and wish you the best of luck with Gertie.

All the best
    CT

5. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

It might help to separate Gertie and another chicken or two about her same size from the rest of your birds. If she's being bullied due to being small, she might perk up away from the larger birds.

Good luck with Gertie, hope she'll be ok.

6. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Hi and [​IMG] I am glad you joined us! You have received some great advice, so I'll just say thanks for joining and best wishes!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Chickadee05 [​IMG] Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice to help with Gertie, I just wanted to add that I hope you are able to help her and that you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

9. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by