Please Help Gertie Girl

Chickadee05

Hatching
Nov 22, 2016
We have just brought 4 RHRs and we're told they were 5wks x2 & 3wks x2 but a week later we noticed we have noticed they are more 2,4,6,8wks old.
All are eating and drinking very well but the youngest is now sleeping a lot n looks like she's trying to crow. I'm very worried about my "Gertie Girl"
Please help as my daughter will be devastated if we lose her.

Last edited:
Greetings from Kansas, Chickadee05, and :welcome! Pleased you joined but sorry to hear about your sick chick. I am wondering if Gertie is being picked on by the older birds? Have you examined her for injury or signs of pain or distress? My best advice is to post as much detailed information as possible about her condition, diet, living conditions - anything that might be relevant - into the this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures
The folks there may be able to give you some help. Good luck to you and Gertie! :)

I do agree with Redsoxs, being the youngest she probably is being bullied away from food & water, and maybe pecked at also. Chicks are like that, and as they mature they continue the pecking order.

Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice and links already so I'll just say hello and wish you the best of luck with Gertie.

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

It might help to separate Gertie and another chicken or two about her same size from the rest of your birds. If she's being bullied due to being small, she might perk up away from the larger birds.

Good luck with Gertie, hope she'll be ok.

G’Day from down under Chickadee05
frow.gif
Welcome!

As you have already received some great advice to help with Gertie, I just wanted to add that I hope you are able to help her and that you enjoy BYC; not only is it overflowing with lots of useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures about chickens, turkeys, duck, quail, Peas and pretty much any other feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

Hello there, and welcome to Backyard Chickens! I am so glad you joined us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here. Enjoy BYC!

Back
Top Bottom