please help! getting 1 or 2 pekins 2mrw are males good pets?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by showjumper_girl2002, Jun 22, 2011.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    i'm going to be getting 1 or 2 pekin ducklings that are a day old to have as pets. i'd like a male since they're quieter and i live in a neighborhood. however, will a male become aggressive towards me when it matures or stay a good pet?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:same answer again...your DUCKS would do best NOT ALONE....2 males = possible fighting.2 females are best but they are LOUD...males can be loud too BTW just not quite as loud as females ....

3. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    After talking to some people i'm beginning to think I should get 2 muscovy's instead cuz everyone is saying they're frindly and make good pets. Any opinions?

4. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:we had muscovies for years. i found them to be lower maintenance /hardier ducks .My DD who was 9 y/o at the time would turn them over onto their backs in her lap and rub their bellies .They were raised by momma ducks so not especially "bonded "to people but they would follow us and "talk" to us and eat treats from our hands . They weren't as high strung as the ducks we have now are.
    The males can be quite ..amorous... and occasionally stinkers if there weren't enough girls to go around,,,the boys LOOOVED their girls! ..so i recommend you get just girls.

5. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Thanks for your replies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by