Please help! Goat ate rubber surgical glove!

13ChickenGirl

Songster
May 20, 2017
Please help! I had a few rubber surgical gloves out because a few goats have colds and I use a different glove for each goat. I had 2 gloves (I'm absolutely sure it was 2) when I looked over to see one of my goats chomping on something. I didn't think much of it because she had just been chewing cud and I thought she brought up a big crunchy bite but then she went after the second one. It was halfway in her mouth when I noticed and pulled it out. And I noticed that there was only one glove. She was acting fine. Not choking or anything she was still baaing like normal. A little bit ago she had a coughing fit. Nothing came up but I'm really scared now. Is this a surgical thing? Will it simply pass? Is there anything I can do? Please help!

Oh no! I have had a close call with one of mine eating plastic. They chow things down before you know it. Because goats are ruminants, this might not pass. I would watch food and water intake, watch for bloating, listen to make sure the stomach sounds remain normal, and make sure she is pooping normally. Do you have a farm vet you can call? I know this isn't really a helpful response... keep us updated on your girl!

Believe me, anything helps! Thanks! She is eating fine. Should I let her or limit food? They are on pasture full time and have access to hay. We do have a vet nearby and I have a feeling we might be making a call:barnie these goats!!

I would leave her eating what she normally eats, so that a change doesn't upset her stomach. (Obviously unless the vet says otherwise.) The good news is last night I googled "goat eating rubber glove." Yours was certainly not the first and most ended up being fine!

That makes me feel a little better! Last night her stomach felt hard and this morning it feels a bit softer. Is this good or bad?

IMG_1271.JPG
Thank you! Called the vet asking for advice and she said she should be fine! She
Said to just keep an eye on her and make sure she is pooping. Sweet little lady is acting more like herself now with NO coughing fits. Thanks for all the advice.
(That's her in pic. Doing one of her smiles)
:wee:wee

Back
Top Bottom