please help goose attacked by dog

Discussion in 'Geese' started by coffeychicks, Aug 4, 2013.

1. coffeychicks

coffeychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    My brown Chinese goose was attacked by a German shepherd when I finally got into the woods to save her she came out flopping over scared me. I picked her up full body inspection no blood or open wounds. I did notice one of her feet has holes in her webbing. The gander won't let anyone else around her but me. Any ideas will she heal

2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    I'm worried that the dog might have bitten her but didn't leave open wounds. I would keep an eye on her and make sure she doesn't get a limp or anything and keep the forum updated.

3. coffeychicks

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    She is walking with no limp but when she stops she hold the leg up

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Keep her still and quiet as possible for a couple days. and take care of that dog, it will be back. Some real good poultry vitamins in her water for extra support right now. and some water therapy very good for relieving pressure and helping to heal.

5. coffeychicks

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    Dog got away but I am ready for its return I have her in a pen with the gander for company I put flock vitamins in the water. Temps here in the 90s so I hope warm enough. I have their pool in there but will fill a tub for some floating time.

6. coffeychicks

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    We were going to introduce them to our pond but this happened pond does have turtles in it would they cause a problem

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So many this summer have lost gosling and ducklings to snappers and also adults have been injured by them, please rid the pond of them before putting your geese on it. and I wouldn't expect the pond to protect the geese from preds. most can swim and also the geese will not stay on it 24/7.

8. coffeychicks

Apr 7, 2013
    moncks corner s
    We have been trapping as many as we can. We baited traps and nothing else in a week I just say it does because it did. I would be heart broken if anything happens to my babies and to think I didn't want geese at first now I want more lol

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

They do tend to make it into our hearts pretty fast. [​IMG]

10. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    They make it into your heart way faster than you think!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by