1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Please help got a 6 week chick with disclocated leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lovechickens23, Aug 15, 2018.

1. lovechickens23

lovechickens23 Songster 5 Years

Aug 18, 2013
    Please help my chick been to the vet, the vet did nothing she is a bird vet, she did nothing she did say she got disclocated leg, she cant walk just flap aournd. Its her right leg, her left leg is going out to cuz she uses it weird, I feed them chick food. She a guinea fowl hen 6 weeks old, it started when she was few days old she got stuck between bars in the cage. I tryied splinting it didnt work. Any ideays? Thank u

Attached Files:

2. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Crowing

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Wow. Never seen that before. Have you tried a chicken sling to keep her immobile?

For now, I would turn the leg into the correct position, then bend it up so that it's under her (like she's perching) and secure it against her side with a lot of wrapping. Much easier than a splint.

@casportpony, @Eggcessive, @azygous or @TwoCrows should have some good suggestions as to what to do.

azygous likes this.
  3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    azygous likes this.
  4. lovechickens23

Aug 18, 2013
    Yes I did say I have tryied splinted it. And when I try to put it back her other leg kind of to the side not the leg but the hip cuz she uses that one leg to move. When I put them together she cant move there to the side. Cuz of that one leg. What do I mean agaents her side? U said put her leg under her not side ? Can y show me a pic?

5. lovechickens23

Aug 18, 2013
    Sorry for miss spell its the key board and not good speller, I did say to the vet said its disclocated not deformity and I did say it started when she was little by going threw the cage bares

6. sylviethecochin

sylviethecochin Crowing

Jun 14, 2017
    Central PA
    Chicken sling:
    [​IMG]

Suggested wrap position:
    [​IMG]

Up against her belly, in the rest position. Not for longer than a week or so, or the muscle will atrophy greatly, but it might help the leg heal together.

7. Sandstorm

Sandstorm Chirping

Aug 4, 2017
    Utah
    I have an 18 week old salmon Faverolle pullet that dislocated her hip as a baby also. I took her to the vet but it was too late to pop it back into place. Since they grow so fast when they are young the time frame for being able to pop it back into the socket is very short.

My vet told me that my pullet will live a long, normal and happy life even though her leg is dislocated and just hangs there. She will always have a limp but other then that she will be fine. She walks on the side of her good leg so her good leg looks a little twisted but my vet told me that is normal since she is using only the one leg to get around. It took her a little time to figure out how to walk but she is getting the hang of it and is active and healthy. Even with her disability she is not at the bottom of the pecking order in her flock.

If she was mine AS LONG AS she is eating and drinking and looks healthy and active I would let her figure out how to walk with the good leg on her own. Its not a good idea to twist it or try to pop it back into the socket. Its too late for that since the bone has grown into the shape and position its in. Using the chicken sling as mentioned above for short periods of time to help take the weight off of it every now and then could be good for her depending on how she reacts to being put in it. Maybe that could help her learn to balance on the good leg better. Only if it does not stress her out though because you dont want her to freak out and hurt herself in it.

Good luck and I hope all goes well with her.

Eggcessive likes this.
  8. Sandstorm

Sandstorm Chirping

Aug 4, 2017
    Utah
    This is her when she was younger at about 6 weeks old. We named her scooter because how slow she walks and her sister that we got her with we named Harley (like the motorcycle) because how fast she runs lol

Attached Files:

9. Sandstorm

Sandstorm Chirping

Aug 4, 2017
    Utah
    This picture is from about a week ago. She doesn't put any weight on the dislocated leg at all.

Oh also I wanted to mention When I go into the coop she follows me around. She likes to lay by me while I clean the coop and she purrs most the time I'm in there. I've never seen a chicken purr as much as she does. She is a very happy and spoiled little lady.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
    Eggcessive likes this.
  10. lovechickens23

Aug 18, 2013
    Thank u she is heathly I name her silver but she cant walk at all just flap how can I makw w chicken sling I nwwe pics on how to do it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: