Please help! Green Poo? (Warning Pictures)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by WFA, Nov 13, 2011.

1. WFA

WFA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    My lav orp pullet has been acting a little funny for a couple days now. She has been avoiding the rest of the flock and seems very lethargic. Today at roost time, I caught her on the floor not on the roost and this green poo underneath her. I checked her over and she feels skinny but no lumps. I am certain someone knows what causes this. I appreciate any help. Thank you in advance.

Feed: This is all they have had

Purina Flock Builder crumbles
    some scratch
    raw oatmeal

[​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]
    -
    [​IMG]

2. lanie8

lanie8 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    I'm so srry, I've only had chickens fo a short amount of time, i hope somone helps you

3. OvertheHenHouse

OvertheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    San Diego
    I haven't seen this but I wanted to share a website that has pix of normal and abnormal poo:
    http://chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0
    I think it was originally posted by Dawg and it's really helpful. Looks as though there's undigested material in there that doesn't match the description of what's being fed. Any chance she's getting into something she shouldn't be? What about her gullet / crop? How old is she? Do you have pix of the pullet you can post?
    Good luck - at the very least you'll get a bump -

4. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    Could she have eaten something toxic, that is sometimes what causes the green poop.

5. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    I agree with the post above. Might be good to get something to flush her system out.

6. chickchicks

chickchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    warrington uk
    i hope all is ok for you

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There are many things that can cause that color of poop; not eating enough, bacterial infection, moldy feed, a liver problem, respiratory issue...just to name a few.
    Start with the basics first. Check your feed and make sure it isnt moldy, ensure there isnt algae growing in waterers. Check and see if there are mold or fungus in bedding or any other place that she could have access to, breathing in spores or eating contaminated feed.
    You can take care of not eating enough; purchase a large syringe without a needle, poultry nutri drench at a feed store and mix 5 drops of the nutri drench in a mixture with buttermilk and scrambled eggs...all into a slurry that you can syringe feed your hen 4 times a day til she can eat on her own. The nutri drench is loaded with vitamins and minerals, scrambled egg for extra protein and buttermilk as a probiotic. It is better than yogurt. Yogurt is good but tends to run out of them, buttermilk coats their intestinal lining and absorbs easier.
    If it's a bacterial infection, you'll need to purchase baytril, most likely from a vet and dose per the vets instructions. Dosing is done by the weoght of the chicken. If it's a respiratory issue, the baytril will work on that as well.
    There's not much you can do for liver problems. I recommend you check the feed for mold, then start her on the slurry mixture that I mentioned. Hopefully she'll pull out of it. Give it 5 days for some improvement, if not, get the baytril and dose her accordingly and continue the slurry.
    You can always take a fecal sample to a vet and have it analyzed. Good luck.

8. WFA

WFA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    Austin, TX
    This is great advice! We are already using the slurry thanks to you. I keep you posted on her condition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by