Please help!h

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lulu12, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Lulu12

Lulu12 Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    South Bristol,maine
    Help!i found a nest in the woods,a friends hen,I guess,and the mom was dead,and one chick is hurt on her wing!its a sore,and it's bleeding a little,please help!
    Emily

2. uncertainty

uncertainty Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    Hi Lulu;

Sure hope someone more experienced helps us. Anyway, if the bleeding is severe, there may not be much we can do. We don't want you to get sick, so try to avoid getting any blood on you. If you take a pad of leaves and apply pressure to the wound for 5 minutes that may help if the bleeding is severe.

3. uncertainty

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    When the bleeding is under control, offer more water.

4. Lulu12

Lulu12 Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    South Bristol,maine
    She's at home,the bleeding is not a lot,I put a little gauze on it,she is eating,and drinking,the wound is a pretty deep,but,she seems fine

1 person likes this.
  5. uncertainty

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    Once that is done we have to find the best way to safely take the baby to your friend's house. Do you have a backpack or a bag of some sort? How about a pocket if you are wearing a hoodie?

Then complete your trip over to your friend's house. Maybe she can find a box or some other safe place to put the baby till a parent gets home. When the baby is in a safe place you can offer some chick crumbles and more water.

Are you ok?

6. uncertainty

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    Oh well done. Good job. Is the baby by herself or in with other chicks? We want to be careful other chicks don't peck at her sore and make it worse.

7. Lulu12

Lulu12 Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    South Bristol,maine
    I got a small bag,I'm not sure if she wants the baby or not,I'm going to call her,I'll be back

8. Lulu12

Lulu12 Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    South Bristol,maine
    She is by her self

9. Lulu12

Lulu12 Just Hatched

Jun 27, 2016
    South Bristol,maine
    Well,I called her,she said she doesn't have room,she just got 12 more chicks,well,I guess I'll have to take care of her :)

10. uncertainty

Oct 18, 2015
    Great White North
    Jolly well done. Phew, that was exciting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by