Please help! Hatching chicks and worried...

candira

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2015
Lexington, Texas
Ok, so I had 1 incubator going and the chick's hatched 3 days ago and seemed normal 1 pip on day 20, then everyone hatched between that night and the day and night of the 21st.

Here's my problem that has me freaking out. I have another incubator going and today is day 21. I didn't see any signs of life this morning but around lunch I noticed 2 eggs had a small crack in them. I watched all day, 1 seems bigger but they don't seem to have changed much. I didn't let it worry me a whole lot but now I have 2 more just like that (so 4 total, that I can see) anyway when my other chicks pipped they made a hole in the egg and I could see their beaks and they were all like that until they zipped. Now these have all cracked the egg, but no hole. What does this mean? Are they not strong enough to make a hole, or what??? I'm worried!!! Are they suffocating in the egg, does anyone know what the problem is? Has anyone had a similar experience. I'm just worried, any comments are appreciated! Thanks!

I'm going to try to get a picture although I'm not sure how well it will turn out

Oh and my humidity has stayed between 65 and 70 although last night it dropped down really low, but I got it back up pretty quick.... that's another thing that has me worried that they can't break a hole in the shell.

I just checked again and there are 7 eggs like that!!! None have holes, just that circular crack. Are they gonna die? Should I help them?????

Last edited:
So you think they are ok? I'm sorry, it's just not like the ones that hatched a few days ago, so I'm really worried. Thanks for the speedy reply!

You don't mention whether or not the eggs are from the same source as the first hatching - this can make a difference, and the different incubator may very well be a factor. I would not begin to think about assisting for another 24 hours. There are several threads about 'assisted hatching' that you may want to read. Helping too soon can result in a bunch of chicks with unabsorbed yolk sacs.

Yes, they are all from the same stock. They are all my own fertile eggs from my flock. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to assist, but thought it could be a result of the humidity dropping last night. I just don't want them to die because it's obvious they are alive. So you don't think they will be able to hatch on their own? What do you think could have happened?

And I will wait to do anything, I was just worried since they were unable to make a hole, that they may be suffocating in the egg?!

Last edited:
I really do think that they will be able to hatch on their own, and seriously doubt that a short period of low humidity is going to cause any problems. In most instances assistance is absolutely NOT necessary, and folks tend to overreact.

Ok, thank you so much because I am one of those people that is overreacting and freaking out so bad over this. I love hatching eggs so far (this is only my 3rd batch) but it makes me so anxious and crazy! I am just going to calm down and hope for progress by tomorrow morning. I just didn't know, and wanted advice from experienced people. Thank you, I appreciate all comments and personal similar experiences!

I hate to admit it, but you are not alone. I am even worse when one of my dogs is about to whelp - talk about sleepless weeks.
barnie.gif

By the way, the very 1st egg that I saw the crack on is moving. Not the egg itself but it's as if the chick is pushing on the crack, so maybe there is hope. I just wish it would poke that hole in there, then I would be so relieved!

Back
Top Bottom