PLEASE Help , have done the big no no

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by poulet, May 30, 2008.

1. poulet

poulet Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Okay I know it was really silly of me to do but it is day 22 5/12 have hatched out on days 20 and 21 so I thought the others would not hatch and would be dead. opened up one and it was dead on about day 17/18 I think . So opened another one and it is still alive I had opened quite a big hole in the air sac and I can see that the membrane is in in tact with very red viens inside. I quickly wrapped the egg in damp kitchen roll and put it back in the bator , can't see if the head is at the top or not , do I just leave it be now ? what are it's chances ? I feel really bad [​IMG] and stupid as I should know better [​IMG]

Have now peeped to see if it's head is visible and the mebrane is drying out do I try and get it out or leave it be ?

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Aww, dont feel bad. Im sure we all have done that. A good rule of thumb to remember is...candle before you open. Keep it wrapped....but keep an eye on it. It still might make it. Just make sure there is enough room for it to "pip" out, around the rag. Good luck!

3. poulet

Mar 17, 2008
    I did candle before but didn't see any movement , just took a peek under the cloth the membrane seems to be drying out even with damp cloth on it should I still leave it or do I wait and then try and take away more of the shell ?

4. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    It might just make it!! Keep the humidity up!

I usually wait until Day 25 to open...figure its a bit safer....

Good luck! [​IMG]

5. poulet

Mar 17, 2008
    Quote:yes your right , I need to be more patient and have learn't from my mistake, however am still not sur if I should just leave it or get him out now the membrane is starting to dry up

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    If it did not pip through the membrane, it very likely has not absorbed its yolk yet. I think it is more risky to try to take it out. There is nothing you can really do until it pips internally.

Jody

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by