Please Help! Heat Stroke/Illness

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pookibear, Jun 10, 2016.

1. pookibear

pookibear New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    I went to check on my girls this afternoon to replenish frozen treats and frozen water jugs in 115F+ heat. I found one of my girls laying on the floor next to the water unresponsive. She is breathing but can't move. I have soaked her feet in cool (not cold) water for 30 min and moved her into the air conditioning. I have her in a small crate with ice packs wrapped in towels lining the bottom of the crate. I have a fan blowing on her. She won't drink any water, even the electrolyte infused water or watermelon... I drip water on her beak periodically but I fear using a dropper to make her drink, she can barley keep her head up. I don't know what else to do or if what I am doing is even the right thing, I have never dealt with this before [​IMG]

I though we had a good set up for our girls. We have two big shade trees, one in the grass and one with a tree ring full of dirt so they can dust bath. We have several water containers in the shade, some they can wade through. We even have some fans in place to help circulate the air; we use them in buckets with frozen water jugs as a mini a/c system. We installed a wireless temperature sensor in the coop so we can read the temp from inside the house.

I want to help her and help prevent this from happening to my other girls too. Any advise would be appreciated!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sorry about your hen. That is a pretty hot temperature for some breeds of hens to live in. Just from reading posts on here in summer, many people lose chickens in Texas and other places with 100 plus temperatures. If you could get some aquarium air tubing from Walmart and a syringe, you can burn one end of the tubing that goes into the beak to soften sharp edges, and tube feed her some of the water. The tube can be inserted into the rear right side of the beak (your left) avoiding the large hole in the middle of the mouth which is the trachea. Casportpony has a great thread called "Go team tube feeding," to learn how to crop feed, if you do a search at the top of this page. Another way, but less effective is to give one drop at a time with a dropper, letting her swallow each drop.

3. pookibear

pookibear New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    I appreciate the advice, and will keep this in mind for the future... I am sad to report she did not make it

4. KnightNic

KnightNic Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2011
    Sorry for your loss :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by