Please help! Hen died suddenly, have fertile eggs!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by konatreehugger, Jan 16, 2012.

1. konatreehugger

konatreehugger Out Of The Brooder

Sep 30, 2011
    Please help. My pet hen died suddenly this morning. She was sitting on five (we believe) to be fertile eggs. She started sitting on them on the 14th. She was a dear pet, and am really hoping there is some way to keep the chicks. I'm looking for an incubator, but in the meantime, is there anything I can do to keep them warm here at home? I have them in a large plastic box, on the nest with a heating pad underneath... Please, if anyone has any ideas... I'd like to try to have them here at home since we live in such a isolated area....

Tonya

2. meredithrocks2006

meredithrocks2006 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Many local feed stores have a cheap (but effective) incubator called the Little Giant 9200. It's very inexpensive, around $50, and has pretty easy to follow instructions. I have one, and really the only problem I have with it is the fluctuations in temperature, so you will just have to keep an eye on it.
    Worth a shot!

3. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    So sorry about your hen. Let us know what happens with the eggs.

4. foxypoproxy

foxypoproxy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Madison, CT
    OMG no, not speedy! [​IMG]
    I was really rooting for her.
    I'm so sorry you lost your pet I know how painful that is.[​IMG]
    Your local feed store or tractor supply may have an incubator.
    I hope you are able to hatch some babies from those eggs.[​IMG]

5. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Build you own incubator out of a cardboard box and light bulb. Really simple.

6. snooptwomey

snooptwomey Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Newark, DE
    Building one . . .far from easy. if your going to incubate, go get the little giant foam one for like $45 at tractor supply

7. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Cardboard box/styrofoam box, lightbulb, glass from picture frame, thermometer, hygrometer, bowl with water, dimmer switch. Pretty simple.

8. konatreehugger

Sep 30, 2011
    Yeah Foxy, so SAD. She recovered from the pox beautifully, happy and healthy...laying lots of eggs... I finally let her have a boyfriend... And then... SADNESS. She gave me a great year of life. I'm hoping her eggs will hatch. I picked up the Brinsea mini incubator today from Craigslist for 50.00. The eggs are in it, and seem to be happy. I will watch them carefully. The great mystery - what happened to her? Her symptoms included trembling/shivering, lack of energy, watery poo, lack of interest in food... she went from happy to gone in a matter of HOURS. I'm scared to think of what could happen to her chicks! We have centipedes, slugs - but no other critters to worry about... I don't understand it. :-(

I checked my eggs today... I have VEINS! I know it's not fur sure yet... But, I feel like I can have hope now. :)

9. macdoogle2

macdoogle2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    San Diego
    Good luck with your hatch. So sorry about your hen. Having some fuzz butts running around always helps anyone to feel better! All the same, sorry about the hen.

10. konatreehugger

Sep 30, 2011
    Thanks Mac! I'm hoping for at least one chick... Some people here think I'm strange for missing my hen as much as I do... but when I think of it, I've never had another pet that contributed to my daily life as much as she did... I fed her grain and veggies...bugs... and she gave me daily eggs and cuddles... all my cat gives me is salty looks and hair balls to clean up. ;-)

Aloha!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by