PLEASE help. Hen has an injured/Brocken leg and won't eat. Very lethargic HELP

M

Member 151789

Hi, my silkie hen has a very bad injured leg. When she limps, it's more like a giant hop sort of thing. I think it might be caused by the roosters mating her like every 5 min. She isn't eating and when I let my silkies roam ahe just stays in the back corner of the coop, with her leg raised up like a flamingo. I am really worried she might starve herself to death. Is there anything I can do without medicine? Please help. I am almost in tears worring about her. And if it helps, she will start egg laying any day now.

Thank you so much,
Caohorse

Hi, my silkie hen has a very bad injured leg. When she limps, it's more like a giant hop sort of thing. I think it might be caused by the roosters mating her like every 5 min. She isn't eating and when I let my silkies roam ahe just stays in the back corner of the coop, with her leg raised up like a flamingo. I am really worried she might starve herself to death. Is there anything I can do without medicine? Please help. I am almost in tears worring about her. And if it helps, she will start egg laying any day now.
Thank you so much,
Caohorse
For one thing you need to keep the roosters away from her so she can heal, make her her own space where she can still see the flock but can't be messed with, and give her some time to heal with good feed and fresh water with vitamins in it. poultry vitamins. does she have an open wound on her leg? if so it will need to be cleaned and treated. Nu stock found at most feed stores would work for treatment. if broken then I'm not sure it may heal with time but i would limit her activity not meaning she should be cooped up where she can't walk at all but limit her space so she isn't over doing. Most important is not letting the roos near her till completely healed.

For one thing you need to keep the roosters away from her so she can heal, make her her own space where she can still see the flock but can't be messed with, and give her some time to heal with good feed and fresh water with vitamins in it. poultry vitamins. does she have an open wound on her leg? if so it will need to be cleaned and treated. Nu stock found at most feed stores would work for treatment. if broken then I'm not sure it may heal with time but i would limit her activity not meaning she should be cooped up where she can't walk at all but limit her space so she isn't over doing. Most important is not letting the roos near her till completely healed. 

Hi, thank you for your quick response. She doesn't have an open wound from what I've noticed. Also, what is Nu stock, and by poultry vitamins do you mean chick electrolytes? I only have some chick feed with vitamins in it to feed her. I really dont think I will be able to go to buy anything, so what can I do to heal her without buying anything?

Thanks so much
Caohorse

Is it best for me to keep her inside? Or can I let her be outside. I would prefer outside, but if it will heal faster inside please tell me.

I had a silkie once with a foot injury and I brought her inside in a dog crate but she was so miserable without her buddies that I put her back outside. It depends on if you think she can't get around to eat and drink. Make sure no one will bother her where she is- no bullying etc. and she might be OK outside if she can get to food and drink. Also no risk of predators like hawks since they can see she is injured.

My horse accidentally trod on one of my girls and she had a squashed toe, I put her in the cat cage and she came into the house for a while (outside during the day so she could see her friends), she was fine (I shan't mention the race to the vet as I saw bone sticking out...upon inspection by the vet it was squashed bread from her treats!).
One of my other girls fell off her perch one day prior to this event and she limped so I kept her locked in during the day for a week or so and she was ok. It worked for her as she isn't as friendly as the one who came indoors, she also got to eat without anyone picking on her and they all still slept together at night.
You could also let her sleep in with the others in a cage, I have done that too...
Good luck!

Thank you everyone for your responses. They mean a lot to me. I will separate her and keep her outside and take her inside when its cold. She will have fresh water and food at all times and I will give her woodchips as a bedding

Thank you all
Caohorse

Thank you everyone for your responses. They mean a lot to me. I will separate her and keep her outside and take her inside when its cold. She will have fresh water and food at all times and I will give her woodchips as a bedding
Thank you all
Caohorse
Keep us updated on her progress.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom