PLEASE HELP!! HEN OR ROOSTER? Black Australorp

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Magdelana, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Magdelana

Magdelana New Egg

Dec 29, 2013
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I raised a straight run of Black Australorps. I tried to pick out all the roo's and get rid of them a few months back. Now i have 9 B.A. At about 21- 23 weeks and NO EGGS!! Can anyone please tell me if these birds are hen or roo?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I'm seeing girls that are getting ready to lay. 21-23 weeks is not that old for BA pullets, especially in the fall. Are you giving them extra light?

3. Magdelana

Magdelana New Egg

Dec 29, 2013
    No. This is my first flock and i feel like im doing everything wrong. I have been told not to use a light cause the coop could catch fire. :rolleyes: what kind of light fixture and bulb watt should i use? And when do i turn it on and off, do i need a timer? Does this work if they can see out of the coop and see its dark outside? Also, someone said i may have egg eaters. Either way, i have tried several nesting box styles and they rip all the hay out and knock them over. Im at wits end and have spent a ton of money and hard work and still nothing. :(

4. vconner

vconner Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2013
    I have a couple solar lights that shine into my coop. My young pullets haven't started to lay yet.

5. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    all pullets

6. Krischick

Krischick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Willard Mo
    I use a florescent stick light on a timer set it to come on at 430am looking for 12 hours of light for your hens not in the nesting boxes by the roost or coop house..

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Pullets - about to start laying. By the way, they are in great condition.

8. Krischick

Krischick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2013
    Willard Mo
    I would use milk crates tie together and a false egg or two and good luck

9. Studio2770

Studio2770 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Personally, I wouldn't worry about extra light or anything. Check everyday for one to squat and you can expect eggs in about a week or two. My EE and cochin laid around the same age, maybe later, a week after squatting.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Those are nice looking pullets, and with those red combs it shouldn't be long for eggs. I don't use artificial light, my June hatch ladies just started laying the last week or so. It's just a waiting game.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by