PLEASE HELP HEN VERY ILL CAN'T STAND AND HYPERVENTILATING

bibi_arts

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2020
HI PLEASE HELP,

I'm not sure what to do right now, my 1 year old pet hen, Sunny is very sick. I first noticed two days ago when she was up on the roost at night with her eyes closed and feathers puffed out. Most the hens feathers were like that since its pretty cold out. She was fine during the day so I just figured she was tired. Yesterday she was fine as well, and I fed her cooked eggs and cheese for protein. I decided to put her in the coop with the heat lamp on and a few other hens so she could fight whatever bug this was. This morning. She was hyperventilating, and she was sitting on her toes and she couldn't get up. Later, she could only hobble a few steps. I thought she was having heat stroke so I moved her outside, even though the other hens were fine. I helped her drink water but she's still breathing heavily. Please offer any advice you have, I want my baby to get better.

Unfortunately, a diagnosis can't be made with such scant information. It's like you going to the doctor and complaining you feel sick and expecting them to know what's wrong without sitting down and going over your recent medical history plus the things you've been doing lately that might have contributed to your feeling ill. Even then, you most likely wouldn't get any kind of diagnosis until you've had several expensive tests.

If you can tell us this hen's egg laying history, when she began to lay, and when she laid last, what you feed her, what she eats when free-ranging, any compost piles of rotting material she may have encountered, any recent pesticide use, other chickens and their ages and if any have sickened and died mysteriously, then maybe we could have a few clues to go on.

Your location, general climate, and current weather also may provide some clues.

Hi-
I'm sorry I was so vague, I went to check if she had laid an egg and she appears to have laid an egg yesterday. She has had a history of soft shell eggs. I live in western Washington-It's rainy and cold. I did have another chicken with similar* symptoms, though she was younger. she passed away from what I thought was Marek's though no other chickens were ever infected or showed any symptoms. back to Sunny- I sat her down and after about 15 minutes she was up and walking again, though there was a slight hobble, and the panting was gone. I've since moved her inside and now she's eating well.

Was this recent egg good shell quality? When was the last time you saw a shell-less egg from her?

Is she behaving normally now? Or is she still a bit lethargic? Is she fluffed up, not very talkative, tail in the down/low position?

What does her crop feel like?

What does her poop look like? Photos?

Update: Today has been much better than yesterday. This morning Sunny was walking and acting pretty normal, I haven't gotten a chance to see her poop. I still notice a slight limp at times, but otherwise, she's been free-ranging happily. I think the issue yesterday morning was heat stress since I had put a heat lamp in the coop to help with the cold. When I found her she was panting, and I moved her into the run and she soon stopped. As for her feet, that morning they seemed almost asleep, and she couldn't stand. But the feeling in her feet returned? Either way, I'm closely monitoring her and I've ordered some Nutridrench to give to all of them.

Back
Top Bottom