PLEASE HELP - HEN WENT OFF THE NEST

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stephhassler, May 2, 2009.

1. stephhassler

stephhassler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Eastern Iowa
    Help - hubby found my hen outside the nest box this morning - somehow she wiggled her way out underneath. We left the lid off the nest box hoping she would go back in on her own. But it is now several hours later and she is happily wandering outside with the rest of the girls. My eggs are day 19 today. Please tell me they are not all lost. I don't have an incubator, so that's not an option. Will they survive if I wait until tonight to get her back on? I'm not sure I could chase her down and catch her even if I tried. Hubby let her out of the coop this morning and she is free ranging. I live in Iowa, it is about 65 today, a little cooler inside the coop. Thanks,
    Stephanie.

2. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    If it were me, I would catch her and put her back on her nest. Cage around her so she can't get off again.

Maybe get a heating pad, electric blanket, heated water bottle, or something like that and try and keep them warm. Get a thermometor and make sure they are at the right hatching temp.

Good luck!! I hope you get them to hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by