PLEASE HELP Hen with something hanging out the back??? GRAPHIC PIC!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kajhurley, Aug 28, 2010.

1. kajhurley

kajhurley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Cooper, TX
    One of my polish hens looks like she has blockage in her vent. It is swollen and bloody looking. There is feces in her vent that looks like it is clogging it up. I have no idea what it is. I don't want to lose her. I lost my rooster last week that went with the trio because of the heat. Someone help please.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  2. kajhurley

kajhurley Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Cooper, TX
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic if it will help diagnose the problem.

3. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    I don't know if I'm correct, cuz I've not experienced it yet, but it may be a prolapsed vent. That's what it looks like to me. Hopefully someone else will chime in, but that's what I'm leaning towards. There's plenty of info. on here about that specifically. Good luck

Last edited: Aug 28, 2010
  4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ouch! poor girl. I'd soak her is some warm water and see if you can get some of the stuff off of her. She way have an egg in there so be gentle.

5. CMcgraw

CMcgraw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    That looks like a prolapsed vent. Wash it off with warm water and gently insert it back inside her. Add some preparation H cream to decrease the swelling. This can happen when a chicken lays an egg that's too big for her to pass.

6. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    Clean the area gently with warm water and a dilute betadine solution (will look like weak tea) and then put white table sugar on it liberally. This will decrease the swelling so the vent can be eased back in. We use this for prolapses in dogs, cats, cows and it works well.

7. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    i just went thru this.id wash her bottom,pure honey on the prolapse,gently push it back in the took a q-tip and put preph on the inside and outside of the vent at least 3 times a day.she was kept in a cage,covered with a towel to keep it dark,puppy pads for her to lay on.the prolapse was gone and she was laying in 3 days...good luck.

8. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    How is your hen?

9. Silkie-Feet

Silkie-Feet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    Ky, Kentucky
    ughhh:( ive never had this to happen.( even with double yokers) but i feel so sory for her. she has to be in pain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by