Please help! hen's breast is bare & bleeding! šŸ˜„

Here's more pics of Bangia & her new feed: 6515-01.jpeg
This is a better photo.
I would not be inclined to do anything at this point.
This is a better photo.
I would not be inclined to do anything at this point.
Thanks again! I'm in the mountains in NW Washington state, US. She's free range plus she has the feed in the pic, oyster shell, insoluble grit, berries, peanuts etc. Always lots of fresh water. I took the advice and did a thorough exam of her whole body late last night in the dark but for my flashlight. I couldn't find a single bug.
Thank you for your wisdom and patience with a newbie! šŸ™

Here's more pics of Bangia & her new feed:View attachment 2273054

Thanks again! I'm in the mountains in NW Washington state, US. She's free range plus she has the feed in the pic, oyster shell, insoluble grit, berries, peanuts etc. Always lots of fresh water. I took the advice and did a thorough exam of her whole body late last night in the dark but for my flashlight. I couldn't find a single bug.
Thank you for your wisdom and patience with a newbie! šŸ™
I hope she likes the feed, mine like that or an all flock type feed.
Glad you didn't find any parasites - good for you in looking last night.
I would just monitor her for a while and see how it goes.
I do handle and examine mine quite a bit, some more than others - I try to observe each one every day and make mental notes on behavior, etc. that way *hopefully* if something is not quite right, I can catch it early.

I wish you well. Let us know how she gets along.

Greetings. Her skin looks irritated, but I also wonder if it is fluidy like a water balloon? That would indicate ascites, which can be from a number of different things. She may be lonely or bored, which could explain when she sounds like sheā€™s complaining. Where was she before you got her?
As far as her feed, I wound not give her treats (peanuts) right now, as they are fattening and can therefore cause health problems. Can you wet her crumple and offer that? Mine love wet feed.

Greetings. Her skin looks irritated, but I also wonder if it is fluidy like a water balloon? That would indicate ascites, which can be from a number of different things. She may be lonely or bored, which could explain when she sounds like sheā€™s complaining. Where was she before you got her?
As far as her feed, I wound not give her treats (peanuts) right now, as they are fattening and can therefore cause health problems. Can you wet her crumple and offer that? Mine love wet feed.
Thanks for your help! I followed your advice and checked her skin. Negative thank goodness. I have moistened her crumbles and she was like warm about it. She prefers to only eat food on the ground. She's quirky.
Bangia was a rescue: the people who had her, had 3 Ameraucanas as well. The 4 of them were in a rabbit hutch with no roost, nest box, grit of any kind, clean supply of water and no love. They were moving and weren't going to take the hens along. A friend of mine took the 3 Ameraucanas. By good fortune, I got Ms. B!
I gave her some unsalted chopped peanuts to make sure she had enough protein.
Although I couldn't find any bugs on her, I still took her coop apart and cleaned everything. My body is going to hate me tomorrow!!šŸ™„

This will be my last post. Treating this hen for her bare spot is like treating male pattern baldness as a death sentence.
Maybe to someone like yourself with lots of experience. To a newbie, to me that sudden loss of feathers and broken feathers scared the hell out of me. Just like when I was a first time mom, always wanting to never make mistakes!

I do thank you for all of your kind help and assistance!!!

Back
Top Bottom