Please help!! Hen's feather falling out by the hands full and now she can't stand :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Feathere6Girls, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Feathere6Girls

Feathere6Girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    My hen Pearl is one of my older girls, 4 yrs old. I noticed two days ago that she was losing feathers and thought she was molting. Nothing else unusual....today I do go out and she's sitting in the coop with labored breathing. I pick her up to check her out and her feathers were falling out every place I touched. She can't stand and has been just laying in the shade all day. She did drink a tiny bit of water but other than that nothing. Does anyone have any idea of what could be wrong??

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It could be a rough molt, but it also could be botulism from eating a toxin in rotting vegetation or animal or fish flesh that has been underground. Sometimes it is hard to distinguish between certain diseases that are similar. Mareks disease can cause similar symptoms as well as other poisoning, such as lead or insecticides. I would offer her some electrolytes/vitamins in her water, and you may need to dip her beak to drink, or feed her with a dropper. Place her in a crate or box inside, and near water and food so that you can keep a close eye on her. Here is some info about botulism:
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism
    http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/botulism/overview_of_botulism_in_poultry.html

3. Feathere6Girls

Feathere6Girls Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Our sweet Pearl passed away :(

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Easily pulled feathers is a symptom of botulism. The chickens are usually paralyzed to the point of not being able to lift the neck. I'm so sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by