Please help hernia? Or something else?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by leasha90, Feb 15, 2017.

1. leasha90

leasha90 Just Hatched

Feb 15, 2017
    [​IMG]

What do i do? Its been 4 hours since hatch and is still very sluggish and not looking to well is there something i can do? Please help

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree - I can't really see what's what and probably wouldn't know what to do about it - sorry You could also post at "emergencies, diseases, injuries, cures," thread

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

Hope your little one is ok, I'm not sure what I'm seeing either...maybe it's unabsorbed yolk?

The members over on the Incubating/Hatching forum should be able to help you out.

Best wishes!

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! How is your chick doing now? It looks to be unabsorbed yolk there. Some after a few hours do finish absorbing it and carry on quite normally. In situations like this trying to keep the yolk sac from becoming ruptured is the best option. A small cup or pot can really help them to keep it intact and to stop other chicks from pecking at the yolk.

[​IMG]
    Warm damp paper towel on the yolk will also keep it from drying out whilst it absorbs. Leaving the chick in the pot or cup in the incubator should keep it moist as the humidity should be high in there for hatch.

Hope your chick is doing ok :fl

1 person likes this.
  6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community! Sorry to hear about your hatchling doing poorly - hope it all turns out okay! Best wishes!! [​IMG]

7. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hello there, and welcome to the community! I am pleased you could join us, I do hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy yourself here as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

8. leasha90

leasha90 Just Hatched

Feb 15, 2017
    My little chick is a stubborn little thing and hope it keeps the attitude! Going on 15 hours now and is still busy chirping away i think I took the wrong advice as i pulled it out of the bator because all the hatchlings i didnt want it getting hurt and put it in my brooder on a cloth nappy in a container the yolk sack has started to dry so im really.hoping to put some dampness on it and help. Should i be trying to feed it?

9. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Sounds like she is doing ok. Dont worry if it has dried out now she is out of the incubator. Do you have some iodine or betadine that you could put on? This should help to keep infection at bay. She does not need feeding yet as she will be living off the yolk that she has already absorbed.

10. leasha90

leasha90 Just Hatched

Feb 15, 2017
    I dont but i am more then happy to take a run to the shop and grab some. How long do i exclude her from the group. I am very surprised we have had so many hatch we had a horrible month full.of storms which ment plenty of blackouts so i wasnt expecting many so far day 20 and we have have 12 hatch normal and my little chickie that has me on my toes. How long should she be ok without food?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by