Please help: How long in Bator after hatch!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Freyda, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Freyda

Freyda Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    My first hatch, all is going well. Three out of ten hatched tonight and more are pipping. I don't have my brooder set up and won't till around 6:00 pm tomorrow. Will they be ok that long in the bator? What is the longest I can keep them in the bator before moving them?

They are thrashing around and smashing into the other unhatched eggs, is this ok?

Should I take out the hatched shells?

Thanks so much!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Don't open the bator. Have Patience. They will be okay for 2 days in the bator til your hatch is finished. They live off their yolks sacs and don't need food and water right away. Opening the bator now with pipping going on could hurt the rest of the hatch as it drops the temps and humidity needed for the pipped eggs to hatch out. It's fine that they are bumping into the other eggs sometimes this helps the ones pipped to get out quicker when they hear the newly hatched chicks peeping.

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Chicken Obsessed

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    All is well, chicks do not have to eat within the first day after hatching.. that is how the hatcheries are able to ship day old chicks..

the little that the hatched chicks move the unhatched eggs is nothing.. don't worry about it..

You might want to put a SHALLOW
    dish of water for them to drink..
    If they do not drink, don't worry..

afterwards when you move them to a brooder, chicks learn by observation.. If one drinks, the rest will follow and after one eats, the rest will follow and if one goes over the fence,,,,,,,,,........????????

....jiminwisc.................

4. Freyda

Freyda Out Of The Brooder

Sep 9, 2008
    Thanks so much!!! That is what I needed to hear. The peeping seems to encourage the others to hatch out. Weird as it sounds. But one pipped and did not hatch till 24 hours later, the membrane was drying out, and I thought it was going to die. I added another wet sponge to the bator but in the meantime another hatched and moved over to the one that was having problems. The one hatchling was jumping on the problem egg and it finally broke out. It was weird!

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It takes 24 hours and sometimes longer from a pip to them zipping out. Patience! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by