Please help! Hurt babies

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heby, Mar 18, 2013.

1. heby

heby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    I have a hen tht went to woods to lay some eggs & then disalpeared so we figured she was sitting. Well today right at 21 days, she brought the babies home with her. 12 of them! Well the 2 yellow ones seem to have hurt necks. They hold them up fine but have been bleeding & i have no idea what happened. Im wondering how i should doctor them. The worst one seemed to also b bleeding out her bottom. Please help! Ive added a pic of the worst one. [​IMG]

2. TOP KNOT

TOP KNOT Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    I would separate them and put a warm red light on them in a box with some bedding. I would also clean it and use blue kote or vetericyn. Farnum wonder dust will stop bleeding. Treat it like you would yourself..get it clean, then keep out infection. I wish the little guys the best. Keep us posted!

1 person likes this.
  3. heby

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    Where can i get those meds? I did separate them & getting their bed fixed now. Can u use those meds on older chicks as well? I have some tht seem to have scratched their faces today.

4. heby

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    Also... Do i clean it with peroxide? Thats how i do my kids. Sorry so many questions. :)

5. TOP KNOT

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    Hello all of those things can be bought at the local farm feed store. They are products also used on horses, thats why I have them all on hand. If you have a farm and fleet they will be sold there. If you can not find anywhere, use what would be used on children. These things are sold online, you may want to get some ordered. Read up on them and choose a good all around product as they can get costly. Look under the horse sections of meds. with feathers I lean away from goopy types of ointment though you could probably use. Every dirt particle seems to stick to those but it does keep the fries off during that season. Maybe use peroxide the first time to clean it up. Then bactine seems to be milder. If there are no flies and the wound stays clean these things should be ok. keep a close eye on them to judge if they healed well enough to give back to mom. Feed them some chick starter with a spoonful of yogurt with active cultures and warm water they LOVE it and will give them a boost. good luck!

6. heby

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    Thank you so much. I was able to find Blue Kote at our Tractor Supply Store last night. This morning however when we woke up and went out to check on the mama and rest of the bunch, 7 out of the remaining 10 were dead. Looked like she had squashed them. Not sure what happened but its very sad after she spent so long sitting alone in the woods keeping them safe & hatching. I took the remaining 3 and put them in with my other 2 babies so maybe they will all be safe. Thank you again for all your help.

7. TOP KNOT

Mar 10, 2013
    SHERIDAN IL
    I am sorry to hear that! [​IMG]Hopefully you have success with the 5 left. Is she a new mom or is it still cold where you live? Well they are in good hands now.

8. heby

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    This is her first time. Its actually getting pretty warm now. Last night a rainstorm came thru but wasn't too bad. I have one hen sitting on 19 eggs that she secretly hid and laid so I'm gonna take those from her after she hatches those cause I don't want to risk losing more. I came home today from running errands and my 4 10wk old chicks were laying out in the brooder dead. It has been a very devastating day. [​IMG] I have no idea what happened to them. I was gonna post a thread and see if anyone may be a mystery solver. They seemed fine yesterday and hopped out of my brooder pen that I have in my hen pen and ate some corn. I don't know if they ate too much and that's what happened. I just don't know. They were my first babies that I have taken care of so its so very sad. I know there were prob some layer pellets on the ground but the chicks weren't there too long then hopped back up to their place. [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. mg15

mg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2012
    Hi, is it normal for a hen to squash her chicks, or is it the breed, or the first time mom ? etc.
    You really have had it bad.
    So sorry.

10. heby

Jan 15, 2013
    Georgia
    I'm not sure if its normal. I thought maybe it was because she had so many and her body is small. She is a game hen. The batch that hatched in January were hatched by another game hen and she was an excellent mama but she only hatched 4 out of 6.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by