Please help- hurt baby duck leg- maggots already in it.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shabbyfarmVA, Jul 30, 2014.

1. shabbyfarmVA

shabbyfarmVA New Egg

Jun 28, 2014
    I found one of my 7 week old muscovy ducklings this morning with a hurt leg. I do not know how long he's been hurt- I have quite a few babies that have just been let go to free range. I do a headcount at night when they come home to the pen but must have miscounted :( He couldn't have been hurt but a day or two though. Around his upper leg look cauliflower-ish and has MAGGOTS inside the wound!! There is no bleeding (at least anymore). He's active, eating and drinking, the leg is still working and strong- I'm so happy to say. But I don't know what to do about helping it heal and how to get the maggots out. It's so super gross. I poured peroxide as much as I could on the wound but I don't know what else to do to clean it. I hope some one can help me save him and his leg. I love these little guys so much. I successfully incubated and hatched all 19 darlings and I am so distraught that one of them is so hurt.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Get to a vet if you can. Immediately.

Otherwise, grit your teeth because it is not fun, but you can get the maggots off.

You will need to keep him indoors away from flies.

Here is a story (graphic pics) of a successful case with a chicken.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...autionary-tale-with-graphic-photo-progression

By the way - fly strike happens FAST. So let's be grateful you see it, and you are going to deal with it.

3. shabbyfarmVA

shabbyfarmVA New Egg

Jun 28, 2014
    Thank you for your response. I'd never heard of anything like this. I certainly didn't think that it could happen to a living, walking animal. I've gone over it so many times now...he couldn't have been missing...I do headcounts often enough. Poor guy must have been hurt and right in front of me and I never noticed somehow :( I'm so angry at myself not realizing that one of my babies was hurting because I was too {busy, hurried, overwhelmed, hopeful, naive} (any of those would fit nicely).

After researching I found a horse thread that suggested putting petroleum jelly on the wound to smother the maggots. I did and it worked, they came out fairly quickly after applying it gently and I was able to pick them off. I have no idea where the wound really is because of the flesh damage (or how he got it) but the swelling of the tissue is going down and I'm treating it with Bactine and Polysporine. It's not wrapped because air was the best recommendation. He's tucked away in a quiet, warm, clean place He's doing amazingly well. Eating and drinking great. He can stand and move the leg so I think as long as no infection sets in he might be okay. Thankfully so far there doesn't appear to be any at this point. Sadly, we do not have a vet around that will take anything but domestic animals so as long as he's progressing I won't commandeer an unsuspecting vet's office.

This is my first year as a "farmer" and let me tell you Nature isn't holding anything back. I lost another duckling just today. Just vanished- with me nearby working on the fence the entire day -yet something came and took her.

I've learned a lot of lessons. Some costly, others just heartbreaking or pointless. Funny- I wouldn't have looked inside a trash can with maggots a year ago- yesterday I sat with cradling a duck in my lap- oozing with them and it never occurred to me to do anything else. YEAH- I GOT THIS!!!

(Thanks again)

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Foxes will take ducks during daylight, right out from under your nose, based on what I have read and heard.

They watch and wait and dash at the opportunity.

A spray bottle of Vetericyn is really handy, as well as their eye gel. There is a sticky with lists of medicine chest items. Don't get overwhelmed, it is a target to aim for - having a well stocked medicine cabinet (I have found things I got for the ducks have helped me greatly! I love vet wrap!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by