Please Help...hurt duck from breeding.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mamaof2wi, Mar 29, 2017.

1. mamaof2wi

mamaof2wi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin
    Few questions.

My poor girl got hurt from breeding. I cleaned her up and put blue kote on her head wounds. Her eyes are hurt also. What should I do? Also I noticed bubbles in her eyes and another females eyes??? Last questioned..when is breeding season over? (I have 2 drakes 6 hens). I did leave the drakes in the pen so they couldn't get to the girls today.

Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    My goodness and so early in the season too. What do you have, do you have veterycin? that can safely be sprayed in the eyes or Terramycin eye salve? You can also make a wash with warm water and salt and rinse her eyes out. 1/8 teas of salt to a cup of warm water mix well.
    Bubbles usually means they are head washing. But looks like it means injury here. Make sure you give them a bucket deep enough to wash their heads and you can also put 1 tab of ACV in the gal of fresh water that can help with the wounds and eye too. Poor girls.

I'd def give these girls some time away from your drakes. Are they doing this to all 6 of the females?

3. mamaof2wi

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin
    Thank you so much for replying! I just put them away for the night and I noticed goop/bubbles in another girls eyes??? None of the others are beat up like this. Just her :(? She is the youngest of the bunch. I ran into town and got blue kote earlier today. This was before I noticed the eyes. I give them fresh water in a rubber pan and a bucket. They also have a creek and I will be fulling their pond this weekend now that it is getting warmer and will not freeze. I will add ACV to their water and I will run into town and get Terramycin for her eyes. You just rub it right into the eye? How many times a day? Thanks again!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Blue kote isn't safe around the eyes or mouth. But i use it all other places it hides ouches real well.

The Terramycin should have directions on the tube but if not I'd use it at night when you put them to bed that way if you don't have water inside she won't wash it off and it will have time to work. Just a line around the outside of her eye and then gently massage it in. If she doesn't like to be held wrap her in a towel so she holds still.

Sometimes they just want to gang up on one particular female I have no earthly idea why maybe because she is young I just don't know but it can be typical in drakes. especially if there are 2 drakes and they can drown a female too if given enough water. So I'd let the boys have some time out and and this female and the rest some well deserved rest. After she is beginning to heal and feel better maybe try rotating the drakes out with the females and see how they act if only one if it still happens then you may have to make a decision to re home [or keep them separated permanently ] one of the most aggressive but we have to think of our girls they need our protection.

@mamaof2wi

Last edited: Mar 30, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  5. mamaof2wi

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin
    I just called and they said you can not buy Terramycin over the counter any more. I has to be given by a vet. Is there something else I can use?

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I forgot about the meds thing. so you can buy Veterycin for wounds and infections still so that would be my next choice they also carry it for eyes too but since I use it for other things I just buy the reg veterycin. The gov has sure made it hard for us by poultry enthusiast haven't they.

7. mamaof2wi

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin

Thanks I went and got some Veterycin! Agree on government really making it hard on us/farmers.

8. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all

Yeah if I just call your local vet and tell them the situation they can order it for you, last year my male call bred one of my females so vigorously that her eye literally popped out of socket, I had to be so careful and get it back in and everything, ohh it was so stressful! Anyway vet ricin's wound and eye care came in really handy for the first day when I had to bandage is quickly, but after that I got terramycin from our local vet, and would apply those twice a day and change the bandages and in 2 weeks it was all better the eye seemed to be functioning as normal and in another week she was fine to go back out with the others, and by then the male had calmed down enough so there was little concern.

9. mamaof2wi

May 11, 2016
    West Central Wisconsin
    Oh my goodness that poor girl! Glad you were able to save the eye! I will keep an eye on her and if I see it does not heal with the Veterycin I will give the vet a call. Thanks!

1 person likes this.
  10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    keep us updated.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by