PLEASE HELP! i accidentally broke one of my ducks blood vessels!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JocelynSeagreen, Oct 4, 2015.

1. JocelynSeagreen

JocelynSeagreen Out Of The Brooder

It's my first time hatching duck eggs. I've been so nervous and worried about my eggs. So I started trying to help and take some of the shell off the egg and accidentally pulled the skin and now the duck is bleeding. Please please please help me. I don't know what to do.

2. JanetMarie

JanetMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    The ducklings inside the eggs know when to hatch and what to do to get out of their eggs. Most of the time they don't need outside assistance. You need to leave the eggs alone and let the ducklings hatch when they're ready. You can cover the one you tried to help with a damp paper towel, put it back and leave it alone, and hope it's okay. Not much you can do now, just keep the paper towel damp.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I agree with JanetMarie you need to leave the egg alone and let nature take its course. Hopefully the bleeding will stop. As it has bled the duckling is not ready to hatch to yet. They don't hatch untill they have absorbed all the yolk and blood vessels.

I know it's hard I really do, but sitting on your hands is the best option right now.

Good luck with your hatch :fl

4. JocelynSeagreen

Must I wrap the whole egg in a paper towel?

5. JocelynSeagreen

Must it be one layer of paper towel?

6. JanetMarie

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    Did the duckling pip the shell? If the egg is pipped you can wrap all of egg except the spot where it's pipped. If not pipped wrap the whole egg with a towel.

7. JocelynSeagreen

Yes it had already pipped. This is what I done before you told me to use a wet paper towel. I think it has stopped bleeding but im not sure. [​IMG]

8. JocelynSeagreen

[​IMG]Is this too much?

9. JanetMarie

Oct 23, 2014
    Michiana
    So, they're ready to hatch then. The paper towel is not necessary if the bleeding has stopped. Keep the humidity up and let it hatch on it's own.

10. JocelynSeagreen

Thank you so much [​IMG].. I think it has stopped bleeding. I took the paper towel off the egg and left it with a little bit of wet paper towel on the area it was bleeding. I feel so stupid but I know I will never be impatient and do this again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by