please help I am a new mother goose

creativity01

Chirping
6 Years
May 1, 2013
Hello I am brand new to this site. I have to say it's very helpful. I signed up to see if you can please help me. I have 2 goslings:D but have no idea what to do or feed them. I also have chicks but thank god I know and still learning to take care of baby chickens. But I am a first time mother goose. Someone told me that one of my goslings is a chinese goose also know as a swan goose. The other one I have no idea. I also don't know if they are male or female. So if someone can please help me. Tell me what to do. So far they are on gooses starter feed and love to forge on grass. I also noticed that they follow me everywhere. I guess they see me as mommy. So please help. Any advice will help. Thanks and god bless.

Lindamw

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 27, 2013
Pearl River, Louisiana
Hello,
I am new to this to... there is so much information on this site.. what i usually do to find what I am looking for is search google or use the search box on here... my geese are happy on the starter and we also gave them some scratch.. i dont know if thats right or not but they seem to love it... and they eat the grass and clover in the yard... we have a dog (my spoiled rotten rottie Bosco) .. so we havent free ranged them yet.. but i am going to... they are very spoiled already.. when we got them we didnt have a proper barn/shed/coop for them outside so they spent the first three weeks of their lives in my office in an extra large dog create.. I have another large dog create that i have outside so I could put them outside during the day when the weather was nice.. we live in southeast louisiana about 50 minutes north of new orleans so our weather doesnt ever get to bad... hubby fenced off 25ft by 25ft area about 100 feet from my back covered patio area so the geese could have more room to roam and get climatized without having to deal with the dog... he also built they a 4ft by 4ft coop that is about three feet tall and about a foot off the ground (it has to be oof the ground because of the slope in the area and water drainage when it storms... we put a ramp up to it.. but i think we need to make the ramp way wider.. they are clumsey and dont really like the ramp... I put them in the coop at night so that i know they are safe and sound from predators and such. This next week i am going to work on free ranging them (since we have 4 acres and the dog seems to think that he is the sole owner of it all this adventure is going to be a work out in patience.. I know that some might think it is cruel but we have an e collar for bosco.. it works wonders.. it has made him a better dog... I havent got the feeding thing down yet so I dont really know what and when but I will and when I collect all the info I will post it back here for ya... in the mean time and if you have time.. (cause I know that poking around on here can take up some time but it is really fun reading all the posts and differ stuff/experiences).. just poke around on here... there is tons of info ... good luck with your geese... i know i just love mine
wee.gif

creativity01

Chirping
6 Years
May 1, 2013
Thanks I appreciate that. I have to say this is my first-time taking care of geese. I normally raise chickens for their eggs. It sooo yummuy. I love fresh eggs. I am a city girl from nyc but since I moved to tampa with my husband I fell in love taking care of his chickens. Once he sold his, I got farm fever! I don't have a farm yet but I am in the process of getting it!!! ;) I'm a huge animal lover.:D

Top Bottom