Please help!!!!!...i am an idiot and opened an egg!!*PIC*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redhen, Mar 2, 2009.

1. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] because so many of my air cells were VERY bad....i knew that alot of my chicks were not going to make it come hatch time...well..so far 2 dead stuck in the shell..they could not turn around to pip or something..fully formed and no blood..just dead....so, i decided to candle a few to see if i can save/help the ones with the bad air cells to hatch....well..3 got tossed right away...well 1 that i opened..moved! i did not break the membrane...i could still see little blood veins in the membrane...but, the chick is still upside down in the shell..i wrapped the hole with a warm/wet paper towel..and put him back in the bator...what do i do now? should i have just tried to remove the membrane to help him hatch? or if i can still see veins...does that mean he is not ready yet??... should i pip the memberane where his beak is..so he can breath?? [​IMG] i AM AN IDIOT!...[​IMG] i want to curl up and die..help please..

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    You did the right thing as long as the paper towel stays damp it will be fine .

If you could see red veins its not ready . DOnt brake the membrane though cus then the chick dries out

3. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:i didnt break the the sack/membrane it is living in...but i DID break open the shell..the whole top is almost off...but, the chick is still in its sack.. [​IMG] thanks Justin..[​IMG]

4. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    just keep a damp paper towel over the whole .

5. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

6. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    so..should i pip the sac by its beak or what?

7. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Not if it's still moving around.
    Let nature take its course as best you can.

8. redhen

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i just checked it..it wasnt moving around much...now what? i hate myself now...[​IMG]

9. FrenchHen

FrenchHen Chicken Ambassador

Jan 26, 2009
    Bagshot Row
    Maybe it's resting. Go read the FAQ's on hatching to keep yourself busy.

10. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    It is best to leave them to pip when they are ready instead of interfering. I would keep the wet towel on the hole in the shell and let it pip when it's ready. If you open the membrane before it is ready it will shrink wrap the chick. The blood and veining tells you it's not ready.

Good luck kiddo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by