Please help! I don't know what to do!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by vkp23, Aug 9, 2009.

1. vkp23

vkp23 Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    This is day 28 for my ducks. They have been wiggling or over two days now. I think one has made it through the membrane but not the shell the others movments are slowing and are sluggish. I've kept my humidity and temp up like it needs to be. One has already died. He never even tried to turn. He died about a day and a half ago maybe two. we opened it to see it maybe we were having trouble with humidity or what not and it didn't seem that the membrane was too dry. He didn't even absorb his yolk. I don't know what to do. I am getting worried they are getting to the point of needing help, but I'm worried that trying to help them will kill them. HELP!!!! [​IMG] My husband is starting to get mad because we spent money on the eggs with so far nothing to show and only three possibles that are not even seeming to try and hath and are slipping away.

2. Kennyog

Kennyog Songster

May 7, 2009
    Oak Grove
    It is best to let nature run its course.If they can't make it on out on their own,most likely they will be to weak to make it if you help.i have helped on several occasions and had little success.You have to be EXTREMELY careful if you help them.Most of the time with help,most don't survive.I have chosen not to help anymore and let things be as they will.Take care.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

What kind of ducks are you trying to hatch? If they're muscovies, they take 32 days.

4. vkp23

vkp23 Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    Quote:They are crested pekins. The one that died and we opened his yolk was a kind of greenish color. is that normal? It also looked like the yolk sack had a tiny yellow tumor.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:They are crested pekins. The one that died and we opened his yolk was a kind of greenish color. is that normal? It also looked like the yolk sack had a tiny yellow tumor.

As kennyog said most times it's best to let Mother Nature run her course. I don't help chicks hatch either. The outcome is usually that they end up dying since they were too weak to hatch. If the one you opened hadn't absorbed his yolk yet he died before he was ready to hatch. I don't know what to tell you about the greenish color unless that was his waste "sack" that you were seeing.

Crested ducks come with their own set of issues. They're prone to neurological problems.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  6. vkp23

vkp23 Songster

Jul 10, 2009
    My house
    I had heard that and I tried to explain that to my husband, but he's getting so frustrated that he's acting now like he doesn't want me to try again with a breed a little less....complicated. *Sigh* It's very discuraging.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I honestly don't know what to tell you other than to give them time to hatch on their own. You're sure your temps have been ok? If they were a little low they can slow the hatching down by a day or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: