1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help I don't know what to do

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tashtash, Jan 23, 2013.

1. tashtash

tashtash Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    Ok so I have a egg that has a big chunk taken off it the chick can get it's beak through but there is the inside of the egg the sort of strechy stuff that seams to be blocking the chick coming out. I probaly did a wrong thing today but I tried to chip the tiniest bit off the side for them and a little bit of blood came out not heaps of blood just like if you had a tiny paper cut. They have been like that all day since morning of 23/1 it's now night time and I'm worried that poor little chick is stuck. Do I help crack egg open or leave it alone. It's my first hatch so I'm like protective mother hen. it looks all good it cracked egg open on it's own. It's been chipping away all day at it but I think it's stuck even my other chicks that hatched today are pecking at the egg around the hole it looks like there trying to help. Please help me do I help chick or leave them alone.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    If there was blood the chick is not ready to come out yet. Keep her in the incubator and keep the humidity high, so she doesn't dry out and get stuck in there. Here's a great article on assisted hatches. Read through it carefully:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Good luck and remember the golden rule here is: don't rush, don't rush, don't rush.

3. tashtash

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    Will she be ok tho even tho her beak is fully out and a big hole around her and her beak. So if I just leave it alone it will come out ok

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Read the article I linked for you. As long as she's got enough humidity to stop the membrane drying out and she gets enough time to finish absorbing the blood and yolk she should be fine. But you may need to help her complete the hatch, so read through the notes and look at the pics, so you know what to look for. And don't stress! You can do this [​IMG]

5. tashtash

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    Ok wow that page was heaps informative. Good page reference. Thanks.

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    If you can take pics and add them for us it would helps us in helping you as well! [​IMG]

What day is this for them?
    What breed ?
    What is humidity at?
    How many have hatched and when?
    How many are still unhatched?

7. tashtash

Dec 23, 2012
    Perth Western Australia
    Tthanks sally shortly after i sentbthat i heard a Lou chirping sound from baton when i checked she had got out ok on her own. not all yolk was gone tho but she was sitting next to broken shell eating it. she is doing great now. thanks

8. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    awesome!!!! YAY!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by