Please Help! I dont know what to do!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cplatt00, Nov 16, 2013.

1. Cplatt00

Cplatt00 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2012
    I came back from work today and found one of my ameracuana hens on the roof of the chicken coop. She was breathing heavy and stretching her neck out trying to gasp for air. I put her inside the coop and things got worse. She started vigorously shaking her head, jumping up and down, and trying to gasp for air. I put her my house in a large dog crate with food and water. She is still showing the same sympotms and instead of pooping she is secreting a white fluid. Please Help, she is one of my favorite hens and I would hate to lose her.

2. aggiemae

aggiemae Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Salem Oregon
    Sound like gap worm, it comes from eating worms and slugs and isn't uncommon in some areas of the country. Alas the most effective medication (Thiabendazole) is by prescription only. Because gape worm required prompt treatment it's something I like to keep on hand but when I needed it it was EXPIRED!!!! You can get on line (it comes from Australia) but we couldn't wait for mail order so had to go the the vet. Yep, I took a chicken to the vet! It was $50.00 including the meds but we did get enough medication the treat 20+ new infestations.

3. Cplatt00

Dec 2, 2012
    ok thanks are there any others medicines I can give her that are sold at local feed stores

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    If it is gapeworm, you can use valbezan or safeguard... you may be able to get this from your local tractor supply...Dawg53 is the expert for worm problems... you can pm him for further advice.

Good luck

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    First of all look inside the beak down in her throat to see if anything is blocking her airway (an object or yellow cheesy patches.) Take a Q-Tip and swab her throat, then put it on a paper towel. Look for any red threadlike worms. Do you have any worm medication such as Valbazen, Safe-guard, or thiabendazole? If so give a dose. If you have antibiotics such as Tylan50, oxytetracycline, or others that would treat CRD, start them.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    More than likely it is a respiratory infection because gapeworm is very rare, but it doesn't hurt to check.

7. Cplatt00

Dec 2, 2012
    OK thanks to all that replied. I do not own any of those medications but I do have DE, could I use that, if not I will get one of the medications

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Sadly DE will not help at all

9. Cplatt00

Dec 2, 2012
    I found some wazine in my shed will it help

10. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    If it is gapeworm,a syringe with cayenne pepper mixed with water might give her enough time for you to get to tsc to get safeguard. Give it to her by mouth and make sure you don't get it in her lungs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by