PLEASE HELP!!! I drained 2.5 cups of fluid from my chicken and I need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cara chicks mom, May 2, 2017.

1. Cara chicks mom

Cara chicks mom Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2013
    Lakewood CO
    This is the first time I have done this and I want to keep my baby girl alive for as long s possible. Anything you can tell me would be appreciated!!!!

I feel stupid for not realizing she was having this much of a problem sooner but guess better now then not. Turkey, is a 4 year old Barred Rock and has not laid in over a year. well one pellet egg on March 5th.

If I can figure out how to add pictures I have some of the fluid I got out of her.

The fluid is a yellow/brown ish color and is not very transparent. It does not smell bad. There is still fluid in her but I couldn't get any more out and didn't want to poke any more holes in her. I'm hoping some will drain on it's own.

I know this can mean a lot of things including things like liver failure

She is standing, roosting, eating (mush. Her crumble food, a little oats and tuna in warm water) and drinking water. I have a dog crate with a towel and a small roosting bar inside my house for her

WHAT DO I DO NOW?!??!

2. Cara chicks mom

May 8, 2013
    Lakewood CO
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. The Golden Egg5

The Golden Egg5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    Where did you drain all that from? Wow! That is a lot of fluid! Poor gal!

4. Cara chicks mom

May 8, 2013
    Lakewood CO
    Her abdomen :( I knew she didn't feel good but had no idea it was that bad. She wasn't really showing signs till yesterday. Then it was just a little slow and her tail down

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by