Shabana

Songster
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
South Yorkshire, England
My Coop
My Coop
Heya
I,m really feeling lost and very much need a bit of advice.

Long story short I found one of my friends chicks out of its run after being attacked by a rat.
Long story is here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/830123/injured-chick-advice-needed-please/90#post_12346205

She is a black maran and at the time she was 7-8 weeks old. She had puncture wounds and a broken ankle which I splinted. She is now roughly 15 weeks old, is limping badly but is walking a bit but sitting mostly. She walks on her toes rather than the flat of her foot like we do I guess.

My problem is that during her time at home I have waited on her hand and foot, making sure she's fed, encouraging more, puting food in front of her etc.
The other day she flew from the floor onto the sofa and I knew she should be with a flock so I started taking her to the baby coop (there are 12 babies the same age as her 15 weeks ish and 4 adults) and she would roost with them, she mostly sits in a nest box because of her foot, and then I would collect her in the morning and take her home. We did this for 2 weeks and the flock have accepted her or at least they ignore her.

I decided to leave her 2 mornings ago. Made sure she ate, tried to get her to drink, same again when I put her in at night. She just doesn't seem to be able to get the fact that she is now responsible for feeding herself. Today I've left her beside food and water after making sure she had eaten something and I'm worried.

I know it's my fault for her be coming so dependant but can anyone tell me their experiences with anything similar ? Will she eat and drink herself eventually ?
She has no problem stuffing her beak when it's placed in front of her and she is able to limp around.

I,m so attached and love her so much.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I have a limpy hen, called "Hopey". Somehow months ago she injured her left leg, but she is doing good. she is also very grumpy. I would be grumpy too if I had only one good leg. She doesn't drag it, but she sort of hobbles on it. doesn't seem worse for wear, and she is always big and tubby and had a filled crop.

You need to force her to her food and water. That means get her and put her beak in water and then in food. she needs to know she isn't going to be hand fed anymore. If you want her to be a house chicken, that's your choice.

Maybe make her own coop with a buddy chicken. she might adapt better then.

idunno.gif

I would give it a little time and see if she will eat. If she can make it to the food and water and others are not bullying her and allowing her to eat she should eventually eat on her own if she gets hungry enough. For a couple of days try tough love and don't bring her in to eat. Once she realized you won't do it she's likely to start feeding herself once she gets hungry enough.i know Its hard to do but give her a couple of days. If she still isn't eating don't let her starve you will have to feed her then. .but give it a couple of days and see if she starts to eat on her own. hopefully when she sees you won't bring her in to feed her then she will get hungry and eat on her own. If she still isn't eating after a couple days then you will have to continue feeding her. Hopefully during those couple of days she will realize she needs to eat on her own and being hungry hopefully she will do it. Maybe she is just spoiled to knowing you will bring her in and feed her. Hopefully in those couple of days that you don't do it she will learn its up to her to feed herself. I hope this helps and keep us posted on weather or not this works for her. I know it won't be easy but when she realizes you won't bring her in and she's hungry hopefully she will feed herself. I wish you the best. I hope this works for her.

I would give it a little time and see if she will eat. If she can make it to the food and water and others are not bullying her and allowing her to eat she should eventually eat on her own if she gets hungry enough. For a couple of days try tough love and don't bring her in to eat. Once she realized you won't do it she's likely to start feeding herself once she gets hungry enough.i know Its hard to do but give her a couple of days. If she still isn't eating don't let her starve you will have to feed her then. .but give it a couple of days and see if she starts to eat on her own. hopefully when she sees you won't bring her in to feed her then she will get hungry and eat on her own. If she still isn't eating after a couple days then you will have to continue feeding her. Hopefully during those couple of days she will realize she needs to eat on her own and being hungry hopefully she will do it. Maybe she is just spoiled to knowing you will bring her in and feed her. Hopefully in those couple of days that you don't do it she will learn its up to her to feed herself. I hope this helps and keep us posted on weather or not this works for her. I know it won't be easy but when she realizes you won't bring her in and she's hungry hopefully she will feed herself. I wish you the best. I hope this works for her.
X2

Thank you :) I've got a "poorly" coop within the big run and it has a small run underneath it , the run door is left open and I keep it in there to keep food dry and my chickens use it as a kind of "smoking shelter " She likes to sit in there. I think because it's covered and maybe she feels more secure.
I dipped her beak this morning in her water and brought her bowl from home with her food and water and put it in the little run with her. No doubt the other babies will be investigating too. I also put down some alphalpha for them to scratch about.

I really want to give this a proper try I'm not against house chickens but I do think she should have the opportunity to be part if a flock if it's possible and they seem ok with her so it's just the feeding bit. I worry about the cold too and the fact she is sitting a lot I wish we were in spring !! I know how I feel when I'm cold and stiff but I've a few more years on me lol !

Thank you again for your quick replies and I hope limpy hen continues to do well. I will update tomorrow and will try the tough love tonight when I put them to bed.

Xxx

Last edited:
Thank you
smile.png
I've got a "poorly" coop within the big run and it has a small run underneath it , the run door is left open and I keep it in there to keep food dry and my chickens use it as a kind of "smoking shelter " She likes to sit in there. I think because it's covered and maybe she feels more secure.
I dipped her beak this morning in her water and brought her bowl from home with her food and water and put it in the little run with her. No doubt the other babies will be investigating too. I also put down some alphalpha for them to scratch about.

I really want to give this a proper try I'm not against house chickens but I do think she should have the opportunity to be part if a flock if it's possible and they seem ok with her so it's just the feeding bit. I worry about the cold too and the fact she is sitting a lot I wish we were in spring !! I know how I feel when I'm cold and stiff but I've a few more years on me lol !

Thank you again for your quick replies and I hope limpy hen continues to do well. I will update tomorrow and will try the tough love tonight when I put them to bed.

Xxx

I didn't pay attention to your location.

Did you have Guy Fawkes day already??

We went to our local village one where the kids had made one. Gruesome isn't it lol but yep he was sat atop the bonfire made of straw and old clothes and suchlike !!

I have to say I love the smell of the fireworks and bonfires and trying not to break my teeth on the bonfire toffee :) takes me back to my childhood :)
It is impossible to bob for apples in an elegant way tho I have discovered hehe !

We went to our local village one where the kids had made one. Gruesome isn't it lol but yep he was sat atop the bonfire made of straw and old clothes and suchlike !!

I have to say I love the smell of the fireworks and bonfires and trying not to break my teeth on the bonfire toffee
smile.png
takes me back to my childhood
smile.png

It is impossible to bob for apples in an elegant way tho I have discovered hehe !

wish we had days like this in America. Too many prudes here to have a good time.

Many people would be in the fires over here.

Back
Top Bottom