please help i have a sick chicken :-(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeggy, Jan 19, 2014.

1. jeggy

jeggy New Egg

Jan 19, 2014
    Im not sure how old she is as i found her roaming the street and couldnt find where she came from so i took her in, keeping her in the bathroom while i tried to find her owners . After a few weeks it seemed like it was going to be a more long term thing so i started building her a pen. I made a temporary day time one but while i was out she roamed free. After about 6 weeks she stopped laying eyes and fluffed up and had no energy . I.took her to the vet but she was suddenly herself again. I brought a new hutch but she hated it so i filled it with hay and left her out in it the first time last night . She now has a drooping comb that is darker at the edges and pooing alot of water and fluffed up and standing still on a box. I noticed blood in her last poo. She hasnt eaten all day and i only saw her dribk.a small amount this morning. She something gets to the cats food and eats the tomatoes in the garden. Her crop feels big ish but ive never felt it before. Please help as i really love this chicken :-(

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It sounds like she may have Coccidiosis. It can cause lethargy, bloody droppings, and lack of appetite/thirst. If you want to treat her, get some Corid (amprolium) from a feed store/livestock supply store. If using the liquid, give two teaspoons per gallon of water; if you get the powder, give 1.5 teaspoons in one gallon of water. Both types are given for five days.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    X 2. Welcome to BYC. Here is some info: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/coccidiosis-how-to-treat-it

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  4. Joshua G

Joshua G Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Hixson, TN
    x3

5. jeggy

jeggy New Egg

Jan 19, 2014
    Ive been frantically searching online all day and so far come up with the following :
    Egg Yolk Peritonitis. Clostridium perfringens. Sour crop. Worms. coccidiosis. resporitry disease.
    Its nearly midnight here aswell so no shops are open. :-(

6. jeggy

jeggy New Egg

Jan 19, 2014
    Ive been frantically searching online all day and so far come up with the following :
    Egg Yolk Peritonitis. Clostridium perfringens. Sour crop. Worms. coccidiosis. resporitry disease.
    Its nearly midnight here aswell so no shops are open. :-(

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Check her crop first thing in the mornings before she eats when it should be flat and empty. Fll and hard is impacted crop, balloon-like and squishy-soft is a sour crop. There can be crop stasis or sour crop with many diseases including coccidiosis. Blood in the stool is most common in coccidiosis, but also might occur in necrotic enteritis, and possibly with worms, but not as consistently as with coccidiosis. I don't think it occurs with EYP.

1 person likes this.
  8. jeggy

jeggy New Egg

Jan 19, 2014
    I keep checking on her and she just came out for a walk around and drank quite alot of water. She still wouldnt touch her pellets but ran to the cats bowl but it was empty . She et a tomatoe. I checked the carrier she was in and no blood but her poo was almost water and there was quite alot so ive had to clean her bedding. She needs a bath but its 2am here and im thinking of taking her to the vets first thing.only trouble is they charge me alot and dont seem to know anything. I dont know why her comb would be drooping and dark???

9. jeggy

jeggy New Egg

Jan 19, 2014
    She stoped laying awhile ago and about once a month produced sausage like poos but lively and healthy and i read online about other people saying thats nothing to worry about

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A drooping comb does not mean anything. A dark comb could mean a lack of oxygen possibly from a heart or lung problem. I would not let her take dry cat food very often because it contains way too much protein--it can be given as an occasional treat.Here is a picture of the droppings of a hen with possible egg yolk peritonitis: http://chat.allotment.org/?topic=17568.0

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by