Please help! I have a sick hen!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by thechickielady, Jun 23, 2011.

1. thechickielady

thechickielady Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Hello, my has been sick for 5 days now. She is lathargic and mostly sleeps and her bum is also very messy. She does have diarrhea and she doesn't eat much of anything. I did get her to drink a little today. I gave her vinegar water and a warm bath yesterday. After her bath she walked a whole lot more (20 seconds) but she wabbled. She used her tail and wings to keep her balance. Today she's sleeping even more so I gave her wazine, VetRx, and Poultry protector. I gave her really small amounts of them. I also have her separated from the rest of my flock.

She was laying eggs, but she hasn't for a while. She does get startled when she hears a loud noise or something abnormal, but other than that she really doesn't respond much.

I'm going to buy her grapes, children's vitamins (with no iron), and some yogurt today. I'm hoping she'll want to eat more and get some liquid out of that too.

What do you think is wrong with her? Is there anything else I can do for her?

Thank you so much!

2. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    I'm so sorry your hen is sick. It seems that you're doing everything you can to help her, and I wish I could be of more help, but I'm not sure what else you could do...What do her droppings look like? How old is she? What breed? What have you been feeding her before she started showing the symptoms?
    Hopefully someone else will be more helpful! Good luck and I hope your hen feels better soon!

3. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    I'm so sorry to hear you've got a poorly one!
    These symptoms don't really hint at what's going on yet, unfortunately. Can you think of anything else you've noticed? Something might seem insignificant but sometimes it really helps to figure out whats happening.
    If the bath seemed to help her, I'd repeat it, dry her with the hairdryer and keep her somewhere warm, like on a heatpad.
    I think I'd also be giving her some baby asprin in water for pain relief and anti-inflammatory.

It's important she eats, so hopefully those treats will help. If not, add some sugar to her water or syringe a little bit of mushed up food into her beak to try and get something down her. Whatever it is, she needs to be strong if she's going to fight it [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  4. thechickielady

thechickielady Out Of The Brooder

Jun 22, 2011
    Thank you so much! Her poo is like water except it's an orangy color. Other than that she really doesn't show symptoms, but I'll be sure to post them if they arise.

I will definitely try the sugar water and getting her to eat.

I did adopt her from a little girl who was moving yesterday so I don't really know her background. She looks like a rhode island red as in her size, shape, and feather patterns, but she's white. She also has a big red comb that flops to the side. I know that the girl I adopted her from took great care of her. She loves animals and was extremely upset to have to give her away. She also gave me those medications I gave her earlier.

5. stargirl

stargirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    UK
    I *think* watery poo is a sign of not eating enough, which would make sense. Definitely try and get something down her today [​IMG]

It could be worms or an internal parasite, but if its not, worming her now would be a bad idea.
    I'm sorry I can't be more helpful! Hopefully someone with more experience will add in soon x

6. Rocky Road

Rocky Road Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Try to feed her some scrambled egg. Has her comb changed color at all?

7. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    Quote:Bread soaked in milk with minced garlic mixed in can act as a mild intestinal wormer. Two cloves to one slice of bread. They love it too. It might help her get on top of things without the stress of a full blown worming solution in her body.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by