Please Help! I have an unidenifiable problem...=,( VIDEO

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Beaky Buzzard, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Beaky Buzzard

Beaky Buzzard Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello everyone,
    I was away for a few days and came back to find my little bantam hen acting strange. She seemed to be disoriented and unstable on her feet. Her eyes also kept dilating. I gave her brown sugar water (which she drank ton of) and put her in a box with straw in it.. If anyone can help me identify what's wrong with her please do, she is my favorite hen and Id hate to lose her...

2. chicken farmer8

chicken farmer8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2014
    i took all of the straw out of my chicken coop because i read that when it get wet it can let off toxic smells for the chickens i have never seen it happen but i did not tack any chances im not for sure but maybe the straw is causing problems best wishes i hope that she get better[​IMG]

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You might want to observe her a little while and give us more detail of her condition--age, breed, , what her poop looks like, is she eating. The more details the better the chances of figuring it out. Did she have a Mareks vaccine?

4. Beaky Buzzard

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Are you familiar with symptoms of coccidiosis? Lethargy, weakness, poor appetite, diarrhea--sometimes with blood, huddling or puffing up. Treatment for that is Corid or amprollium for 5 days if you suspect that. Mareks disease can cause leg and foot paralysis, some times on one side, and it can cause a drooping wing, also. She may need some electrolytes in her water for a day or two, and I would feed her some scrambles eggs. Watch to see if she can stand and walk normally, or if she loses balance or has funny positions. Mareks can affect the eyes. Are her pupils large in bright light, or do they get smaller?Here is some info on Mareks: http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/502

6. Beaky Buzzard

Im going to post a video... Now she is jerking her head around making a gurgling sound.. its almost like shes blind. But I shined a light in her eyes and they dilated... Its totally weird....

7. Beaky Buzzard

[​IMG]
    Here's a video. We're thinking she's blind, which happened very fast. I pushed around her crop and she made some gurgling sounds but stopped. It's pretty sad

8. Beaky Buzzard

Any ideas... Could it be poisoning? She might have eaten a little rock salt....She escaped while I was away but the guy that watched her caught her pretty fast.....

9. Jchicken311

Jchicken311 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    Texas
    I have no clue never heard of anything like it. How does the bottom of her foot look?

10. Beaky Buzzard

Her feet are normal and fine.. She was fine yesterday... Ive had chickens for about 7 years and ive never seen anything like this...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by