Please help, I need to cull but don't know if I can do it.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sophie Mae, May 10, 2011.

1. Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    Ok, I have a duck. This winter she was chased away by a dog and gone for a week. She came back with both her feet frost bitten as well as her beak. I kept her indoors for 6 weeks, cleaning medicating and pampering. She lost most of one foot before I put her out side and was able to kind of hobble around on it. The remaining foot was still black, I figured that if the second one would of fell off like the first she would be ok and still have a good life. Well it fell off and left no foot at all, just bone, and the bone is cutting in to her. I know I need to cull, I need the strength to do it. I also need to know the quickest and most humane way. She is eating and drinking but not able to walk or hobble at all, it has only been 2 days and tomorrow will be the third. She has bonded with a male muscovy and he has not left her side. I have cleaned her up each day and put salve on her to minimize her suffering. Please give me advise and strength.

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] I am sorry to hear about your duck. I am sitting here trying to work up the courage to cull one of my chickens that was badly injured today. I will be decapitating unless there is improvement by morning. This method is easier on the bird but definately not easy for the person doing it. I do not process birds and cull only if there is no other option. This sucks! [​IMG]

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I'm sorry for the both of you. I can only imagine.

Imp- thankfully hasn't faced this reality yet.

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:Thank you, Imp. [​IMG]

5. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    At her age and size, decapitation will be the quickest for her. Make sure your axe is very very sharp so it is one quick movement.

It won't be fun for you no matter what you do. Do make sure you do it away from the other birds. Less traumatic for them that way as well.

Just remember, it's in her best interest and will ease her pain and suffering. And her comfort is FAR MORE important than anything else.

Good luck.

6. CrazyFowlFreak

CrazyFowlFreak Pine Hill Farm

Apr 24, 2009
    WV
    You can do this. It's best for her. As dumb as it sounds, it's the circle of life. You will do her the honor of helping her cross over to the other side where she will have no pain, only joy.

7. Mama Austranought

Mama Austranought Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Western Australia
    So sorry for you. [​IMG] The first time is always the worst. Think that you are doing it for her good. It would be more cruel to let her live. You will do it out of your care for her.
    I hated the first time I had to cull. I had sick feelings about it for days but now it is just regarded as a ""necessary evil". A good 'drink' after always helps the queasies! Try not to think too much about it.
    PS Don't do it where her friend duck can see and make sure he gets some tlc afterwards bacasue he might miss her

Last edited: May 10, 2011
  8. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    Does her 'mate' have any other ducks he can hang out with after she's gone? I wonder if it would be best to get him a friend first if he doesn't.

I am truely sorry that you are facing this unpleasant but necessary task. If you covered her little face before you dispatch her, would it help you a bit? When I had to shoot my goat buck (ruptured bladder at 2 am), I first covered his head with a towel. Something about looking in his eyes hurt me. Being that she's a bird, it may help to relax her, if not you.

Just a dumb thought.

[​IMG]

9. Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Marion, Ohio
    I have 2 female muscovys. one is on a nest right now. The peking girl was older and for some reason he has preferred he. He has mated all 3 but slept next to her each night. He will not be lonely.

10. EquestrianGal

EquestrianGal Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    I am so sorry. I haven't faced this yet, but hurt for you. Losing an animal is never easy--and it is even harder when we have to make the decision. I can't offer any advice, but you have my sympathies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by