Please help...I posted in emergency and no one is responding...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mama2B&D&...Chickens, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Mama2B&D&...Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    I have a baby born two days ago under mom and it was a little shrink wrapped somehow so I helped get the shell all off...I thought little one just needed time to fluff and get its bearings like any other but this one has had leg/foot trouble almost from the start!

It's right leg is ok but the bone/joint where leg meets foot turns way out and putting a boot on helps separate its toes so it's walks a tad better but it still walks like a gimp and I have tried EVERYTHING I could think of to turn that foot straight! The ankle just turns! Then it's other leg the foot/ankle is ok but the leg turns out [​IMG] I'm so sad...I'm trying so hard but I'm afraid I'm losing this battle with her...I don't want her to hurt and my husband will put her down if she needs to but I want to try ALL I can!!!! She is drinking and eating ok...pooping does seem a little weird, she almost peeps like it hurts and I just cleaned her bum off and she has a little like BLOOD bubble at her vent area!? What is this?? I've never had any of these two problems yet...ugh. I swear. It's always something. [​IMG]

2. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    [​IMG]

3. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    [​IMG]

4. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.

5. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Unfortunately, I don't think you are going to be able to fix this. It looks like the leg(s) likely developed abnormally while still in the egg, not that the chick injured itself during the hatch. You can wait for other opinions or go see a vet, but it is likely kinder to let your husband take care of things.

6. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    Thanks...I'm so sad about it bc I've really tried and gotten so close to the sucker. Ugh. Hate this part. We had a one legged chick born who did really well for a full year here until she hurt her other leg and we had to end her suffering and I don't want him to hurt...just stinks. He eats and drinks and gets along fine, just hate the thought of him dying some way not quick or being picked on. (Luckily no one picked on our one legged-nubby-we have a pretty free range flock)

7. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Your chick will probably die. You need to accept that. And the swollen vent accompanied by frantic peeping when the chick poops indicate constipation, probably due to genetic abnormalities, indicates it is in pain. It's suffering.

Please allow your husband to end this chick's suffering. It will be the most courageous thing you can do for your little chick.

8. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Those legs are so far out of proper alignment that the pain in the joints must be considerable. It always sucks when we can't help a baby animal get better, but at least we have the ability to end suffering. I am so sorry.

9. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.
    No I agree, I just at first thought it was just crooked toes or slight spraddle but more I look and look at the others to compare, both legs are just obviously affected to where I am unable to set them and change the outcome...he still walks better when I have his foot set in a bandage bc his toes are far apart and he balences better but in the long run I know he will suffer more left to grow like this. Thanks.

10. Mama2B&D&...Chickens

Feb 22, 2010
    Plant City, FL.

He's peeping more in the video bc I took his spoiled behind away from his heat lamp and it was cooler out...he does not peep frantically all the time or he would be put down long ago...I have had to accept this fate before and will again with him...just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. Thanks. We have a small flock and I poor my heart into their care so it's not every day we have to make this decision. More like (luckily) every year or to at most.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by