PLEASE HELP! I think her wing is broken, but can't tell!

Chickenkate17

Songster
9 Years
Aug 1, 2010
California
I went to let my girls out this morning and one of them just kind of toppled out....it also looked like one of the other chickens was kind of attacking her. She is laying on her side, I haven't observed and standing, walking, or even laying right. She is laying over on one side with her wing kind of under her (the one I think is broken). I'm going to take a photo right now, please give me any advice! How can I make her comfortable??? I can take her in to the vet in 30 minutes....THANK YOU

If you didn't actually see her have a accident and she was in that pose when you came outside it could possibly be mareks disease. But if you actually saw her have a accident then yes its likely she was hurt and I would see what the vet had to say.

Yes, I'm planning to take her to the vet as soon as they open. I did not see her have a accident--she apparently went into the coop last night just fine...I thought they couldn't get Mereks after a certain age?? Everyone else seems healthy and fine. Thanks everyone!

No marks symptoms can appear at that age. My guess is Mareks. See what the vet has to say and please post back and let us know.

Well, Della was euthanized today due to Marek's disease. She was very skinny, but you couldn't tell visually. She was so weak she couldn't stand, plus she did have a broken wing at the shoulder. The vet said that she could've gotten that by falling off of the perch last night because she was just so weak. The only reason I didn't vaccinate them is because the farm told me that since they were 10-12 weeks they were in the clear. However, my vet said that it can take up to a year for symptoms, even if they are exposed to the virus as chicks. The other chickens seem to be fine, and she said that they might have been able to build up a tolerance to the virus and that the ducks cannot contract the virus, just chickens, turkeys, and quail. And now that Marek's has been in the coop/run, it will be in the environment forever. It makes me wary of adding new chickens to the flock, even vaccinated ones.
sad.png

I'm so very sorry for your loss. Mareks is exactly what I suspected. If you do decide to add new birds make sure they have at the very least 14 days of quarantine after vaccination to develop antibodies and immunity before exposure. Again I'm so very sorry about your girl.mareks is such a devastating disease. She is no longer suffering.you did what's best. I wish you the best in the future and God bless.

Back
Top Bottom