Please help! I think I have 3 roo's *loads of pics alert*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sassypants'mama, Jun 21, 2011.

1. sassypants'mama

sassypants'mama Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Washington State
    Ok, so I'm totally new at the baby chick thing. We bought our original girls when they were almost 4 months old. Our RI Red went broody when she was about 9 months and was stubborn to outlast our efforts to stop the broodiness. Thus, meaning she hatched 3 more to add to the flock - possibly. I believe you can only have 1 roo if we only have 4 mature females left (fox got my favorite Sassy Pants last week). Can you please help with sexing and figuring out breed for my birds? I'm not sure of the breed, but am pretty sure the black one is a Barred Rock. The white ones have a barred rock design type feather that is cream/white colorations. The birds are 11 weeks old.

Thanks a ton for your input!

Baby1 & 2 are the only ones that fight with each other and rarely leave the coop willingly. Baby3 follows the older girls around in the yard.

Baby1: This is the one I think made a little throaty cock-a-doodle the other day. It was slow at getting feathers in and fights with the black one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Baby2: I'm pretty sure this is a barred rock and a roo. It gets a bite in on occasions when I'm not paying attention and he fights with baby1.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Baby3: I'm pretty positive this one is a roo too. He attacks both myself and my husband.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tinydancer87

tinydancer87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    SE Georgia
    Look like all roos to me

3. sassypants'mama

Jun 21, 2011
    Washington State
    Oh man! [​IMG] I was worried about that. I've heard horror stories about getting rid of one rooster, I'm not looking forward to having to get rid of 2 in our small community. [​IMG]

4. equinelyn

equinelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Southern York County
    I'd start by getting rid of the one that attacks you and your husband.

5. Bristan

Bristan New Egg

Jun 20, 2011
    you've only got 2 to get rid of! I have to get rid of FOUR! hahaha and we live in the city where its illegal to keep roosters so no one around us is going to want them! We have a challenge ahead of us. If only there was something you could feed them that made them change sex hahaha

6. sassypants'mama

Jun 21, 2011
    Washington State
    Quote:I totally get ya. We live on a small island, so I've got a challenge ahead [​IMG] Craigslist, here I come!

7. lulumammato2

lulumammato2 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 7, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    I had to do the same thing.We got 6 BR and tw turned out to be roos but they went so quick when I posted them free on craigslist.Today will be hard though my son picked out a silkie named popcorn and he started crowing about a month ago. We are going to pick up three more straight run silkies this morning(hopefully one will be a girl) and popcorn is sold to a lady this afternoon for $8, he was also posted on craigslist.

8. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Yes, all 3 are roos. You can see the pointy saddle and hackle feathers coming in.

9. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    I Like the white barring on baby1....

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:Yup, and #2 looks like a black sex link cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by