PLEASE HELP! I THINK I JUST MADE THE WORSE MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChucktheChick, Mar 11, 2013.

1. ChucktheChick

ChucktheChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    Ok, so I was just candling the eggs, *sniff* and I accidently dropped one of my beautiful silkie eggs! :he I am bawling my eyes out! It was day three *tear tear* and it didn't crack the membrane, just the shell. It is about half an inch long. It was like it just dropped lightly on a table. No inner stuff is coming out. I am devistated. There was a baby in there! *sniff sniff* I killed a baby chick! Could it still be alive, or is it dead for sure? Do I have hope? Over all the years of incubating, I have NEVER had this happen and DO NOT want it to ever happen again. Thanks everyone for input in advance. :hit

2. gingerly1983

gingerly1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Grand Ridge, Fl
    Ok....don't panic. Get a white, perfume free votive candle, let it burn a little bit. Get a qtip, dip it in the melted wax and then quickly 'paint' over the crack with the wax. Put it back in the bator and act like nothing happened. Check it again in a few days and see if there's still progress with developing.

3. Chicken Master1

Chicken Master1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    my chicken coop
    i think gingerly is right. i hear that works.

4. gingerly1983

gingerly1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2013
    Grand Ridge, Fl
    I have some cracked quail eggs that I fixed, the placed in the incubator. The ones that weren't infertile all seem to be developing properly. It was an experimental batch for me but I'm having good results! Be careful not to get globs of wax on there. That's why a qtip is easier. Good luck!!!

5. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    thank you so much! I will keep u updated. You dont know how greatful I am!!!!!

6. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    throw some clear nail polish over it.

7. ChucktheChick

Sep 24, 2012
    The coop
    would that hurt it though!?

8. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    not that i know of. i always do it and it works awesome. i heard about it on this forum from somebody.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by