PLEASE HELP! I think my chicken is ill/possibly dying/bird flu infected

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by theHappyEgg, Apr 22, 2017.

1. theHappyEgg

theHappyEgg New Egg

Oct 21, 2015
    Hi, I have a chicken called Omlet who is a black rock, around 7 years old and my oldest chicken. I have previously lost 3 chickens to mareks disease but those were untimely and I don't know what it looks like when a chicken is dying of old age. I love my chicken a lot and I want it to just be an illness or something but I'm not sure how to tell, she has had all of these symptoms for at least a few days now.

These are her symptoms;

-not eating much, I hand fed her sweetcorn but she won't each much of that or anything else

-not moving much, she keeps sitting down with her eyes closed at different spots (although she does move around sometimes and whenever I go out

-not making much noise, she has never been particularly vocal but now she is barely speaking to me at all

-her comb is slightly flopped over and turning a greyish/purplish/blackish/bluish colour (although it sounds more dramatic than it looks)

-she usually sleeps on a fence in the garden but is unable to jump high enough (it is smaller than a metre) to get up, and so has been sleeping in the coop

-when I hold her she doesn't resist or try and get away, which is slightly unusual for this specific bird

-her body (inside although I'm not sure where but I think possibly digestive organs/bowls) is making funny gassy/liquidy noises

-she isn't pooping much and it's fairly (although not very) runny

-she is finding places away from the flock to rest, and only sees them when they lie/sit around her

-not a symptom but the other chickens are all being very careful with her, and treating her as if she's delicate and must be protected

PLEASE HELP?!

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Unfortunately this does not sound good.
    I hope you are able to help her be comfortable.
    Best wishes.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by