Please Help! I think my chicks may be too big to hatch.

Ruby May

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 1, 2013
Today is day 19. My husband and I have had 3 bantam chicks hatch successfully. One EE mix pipped, started to zip and died. Once removed from the shell we discovered its head was turned to the side and looked as though it could not turn it forward because its thigh was in the way.

We have had one more EE pip along with one Comet/Brahma mix and one Leghorn/Brahma mix. I know this is really early for all this activity. Our temp jumped up to 104 for a few hours on day 11 and we kept the humidity around 50-55 the first 18 days per incubator instructions (maybe I should have just thrown them in the trash) I worry they grew way too fast and will not make it. On the start of day 18 some of the air cells looked smaller than others. I wish I would have left those in the turner a little longer before lock down.

W have made sure the humidity is 70%. How long should we give the pipped eggs before assisting. I would hate to see anymore die if I knew there was something we could do.

Chicks don't get too big for their shell. Yes, they can get malpositioned but I think it's much more common in shipped eggs than non-shipped ones.

Just let them do their thing and try to keep the temp from spiking again. If your temp is on the higher side of normal, they may hatch a day early. You risk more harm than good by going into the incubator all the time. If the chick has pipped in the correct area of the egg, it won't hurt it at all by letting it take it's time zipping and getting out.

choosing to assist, and when, is a hard thing to comment on when I'm not there to see it myself.

I think that if it were me, and one had already died and things were strange (hatching early, temp spikes), I would try to assist. If nothing more than to just assess the situation. if you can, only remove the shell and leave the membrane in tact. go very slow. once you get the shell away, you should be able to see if it is malpositioned and requires more help. if not, put it back in the incubator and let it hatch by itself.

it is VERY important that you do not take the chick out of the shell before it's ready - that can cause death. It takes 24hrs+ to fully absorb the yolk, so you are in NO RUSH. I suspect malposition because the other one was. I suspect it may not hatch alone. but I do not know.

here is more information about intervention:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/9316/intervention-helping-your-chicks-hatch

Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate it. After posting this and really thinking about it; it doesn't make sense for a chick to grow too big for its shell.
All three eggs that had pipped Monday hatched and are doing just fine
jumpy.gif
This morning we found another pipped egg and the humidity had dropped. We got it close to 70% but when my husband came home from work he found the chick glued in its shell. The yolk was fully absorbed and he was able to assist it without harm. It seems really strong and is chirping but has not tried to walk for several hours. It seems to be having a hard time pulling one leg up under itself. We put it back in the incubator for now. Hopefully it will join the other in the brooder.

Congratulations on your hatch:D
Your chick is probably just exhausted, I'm sure he'll perk right up after resting. I always give my chicks electrolyte/vitamin mix in their water for the first few days.

Have fun with those babies, I'm waiting till spring to hatch mine.

Thanks for the replies! I really appreciate it. After posting this and really thinking about it; it doesn't make sense for a chick to grow too big for its shell.
All three eggs that had pipped Monday hatched and are doing just fine
jumpy.gif
This morning we found another pipped egg and the humidity had dropped. We got it close to 70% but when my husband came home from work he found the chick glued in its shell. The yolk was fully absorbed and he was able to assist it without harm. It seems really strong and is chirping but has not tried to walk for several hours. It seems to be having a hard time pulling one leg up under itself. We put it back in the incubator for now. Hopefully it will join the other in the brooder.

Hooray! Great job, so glad it went well! congratulations!!!
ya.gif

I just had this happen to e of mine, but they couldn't even pip. How do I know when to intervene? Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom