Please help id breed of these chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by holliboydwhite, Nov 18, 2010.

1. holliboydwhite

holliboydwhite Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2010
    near Albany NY
    We were given 9 chicks when they were a few days old. They are now 7-8 weeks old. Thanks to everyone on this forum for advice on predator protection, coop design, feeding, and basic care! Could not have done it without you.

I would like to know what breed they are. Also thinking quite a few are roosters - they seem to have more red growing on their faces and their eyes are encircled with red as well.

Lots of pecking going on but I check them daily and no injuries. They have plenty of room and food and fresh water and a heat lamp in their coop. I am in upstate NY.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    [​IMG]
    UMMMM can't see the pictures? [​IMG]

3. holliboydwhite

Nov 18, 2010
    near Albany NY
    With images -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Carrie Lynn

Carrie Lynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    S.E. Michigan
    Buff Orpingtons?

5. bigchrisb1985

bigchrisb1985 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2009
    Brookneal, VA
    They look like my Buff orpingtons

6. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Quote:X3 but I am no Orpington expert. Cute chickies!! [​IMG]
    ETA - looks like you probably have some boys in there. Hard to tell from the pics. If you want to find out the sex of the chicks, try getting individual side pictures of each chick. Also, if you are having feather picking problems but have plenty of room, you might need to increase their protien intake. Sometimes they pick feathers to get the protien in the feathers. I had a similar problem and it went away as soon as they were getting enough protien.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2010
  7. holliboydwhite

Nov 18, 2010
    near Albany NY
    Yes - after looking at the page on this site about them I think that is it. However, how can I tell which ones are female? Thanks so much!!

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    They almost all look like cockerels. Pics 2, 3 and 4 are roos for sure. I can't see all of them well in the first pic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by