Please help ID breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Redbug55, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Redbug55

Redbug55 Just Hatched

Feb 25, 2017
    Dayton, TX
    Can anyone ID her breed? This is my first chicken. She is I guess what you consider a rescue, she was living in my sisters neighbors front yard under junk for the last year or so. Constantly being chased by dogs and cats, so we decided to bring her home. She has settled in well and took to her coop seamlessly. I would just like to know what breed she is and wondered why she is so thin. Everyone's chickens seem so plump. I've tried looking at all the breeds but there are so many. Thank you all in advance.

[​IMG]

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Congrats and welcome to BYC! I don't know what breed. Is she small or large? I'm sure someone here will recognize exactly what she is.

3. Welcome to BYC!

Well what a interesting bird!
    I really want to say Sebright, and Langshan, and all kinda of breeds!But if she's a Langshang or a type of Moderen Game, then she is supposed to be thin.

Good luck!

4. ECSandCCFS

ECSandCCFS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2013
    Georgia
    Certainly has some game breed in her, which would account for her skinniness, but beyond that I'm not sure. Stunning coloration though!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  5. Redbug55

Redbug55 Just Hatched

Feb 25, 2017
    Dayton, TX
    She is pretty small

6. Redbug55

Redbug55 Just Hatched

Feb 25, 2017
    Dayton, TX
    With her being a game bird will she cohabitate well with other backyard breeds? We have 4 3-week old chicks in the brooder (2 RIR, 1 Buff Orpington & 1 black sex link). I'm really nervous when it comes time to put them in the coop. She has laid 1 egg since she has been here and before I got her she hatched and raised a chick. I don't know enough to feel confident.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I don't think she looks skinny, I think that's just her build. If she were underweight, she would't have those nice glossy feathers and that alert look. She looks very healthy to me [​IMG]

I think she may well be a mix of mixes. There are a lot of things going on there. Lots of game influence, for sure.

She should do fine with other birds. She may well be top dog, but someone's gotta.

8. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Even if she is a bantam breed, they can get along, especially since she's the older one, and the large breeds are babies. I think they'll be just fine. Quarantine her for a while before they meet in case she harbors some illness. Read forums on quarantining new birds and also on introducing new members to the flock. Good luck, let us know how it works out.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    She's gamebird breed or cross. They are usually slender and very fit. What a pretty girl. I've heard they also make great mamas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by