1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help ID Button Quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Pawpaws Aviary, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Pawpaws Aviary

Pawpaws Aviary Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2016
    Addis, La.
    New to all this...could y'all help ID our first hatching of quail.....THANKS

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  2. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    Not sure about the first one, some kind of cinnamon I think. 2nd and 3rd are probably wild colored. Last one is golden pearl, possibly also red breasted.

3. Pawpaws Aviary

Pawpaws Aviary Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2016
    Addis, La.
    Thanks for your help. If anyone else has any ID's please let me know. How about the sex? As I said we just beginning and trying to learn! Thanks again

4. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    2 and 4 are males - you can tell from the 'bib' (black and white markings on the chin), rust red feathers on their underside and the blue-gray feathers on their sides. All 3 are things you don't find in females. Females might have a light colored area on the chin, they might have a white area, the area might have a black border - but you don't see the full black and white pattern as on those two males. Not all males have them, though. But unless the male is white on the belly (tuxedo or all white) you will always see rust colored feathers around the vent, so that's my preferred way to sex them. The rust colored feathers will be more pale if the bird is silver, cinnamon or another dilute variety, but they will still be there.
    3 is an obvious female, 1 is probably female but the picture isn't the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by