Please help ID health issue!

Bravado11

Hatching
Nov 3, 2016
My hubby and I acquired our first geese last year, two dewlap Toulouse, so we're on a steep learning curve. Can someone please tell me if this is a health issue (see pic)? After some research I was wondering if my boy has an impacted crop however it doesn't seem to be bothering him. Please any advice welcome.

My hubby and I acquired our first geese last year, two dewlap Toulouse, so we're on a steep learning curve. Can someone please tell me if this is a health issue (see pic)? After some research I was wondering if my boy has an impacted crop however it doesn't seem to be bothering him. Please any advice welcome.
Can you get a pic from front too? Dewlap Toulouse are pretty rotund anyway. how old is he? What do you feed? and lets see if we can get someone who has them to advise. @Iain Utah

Welcome to BYC.

I finally got a good picture, they're both pretty shy. I'm feeding layer poultry feed (they share the space with my chickens) as my feed store doesn't carry a water fowl feed. However I didn't supply grit until recently, and there's definitely coarse grass in their area :(

I finally got a good picture, they're both pretty shy. I'm feeding layer poultry feed (they share the space with my chickens) as my feed store doesn't carry a water fowl feed. However I didn't supply grit until recently, and there's definitely coarse grass in their area
sad.png

@Bravado11 looks like the one on the left is lopsided what does that feel like ? If they have access to out doors they will find their own grit but I do keep it out for mine year round. I'd say you need to get hold of this one and feel this area. Might want to check out the other one too just for comparison.What about appetite still good and poop how does it look? ever wormed them? Course grass? geese can get impacted from eating grass too long and thick. And I am sorry no one has replied the goose thread goes pretty dead this time of year.
They're about 2 years old

It's alright. Thank you for taking the time. I caught him the other day, and from what I could tell the area felt squishy, not firm.

Sorry forgot to answer other questions: poop on the buff looks pretty watery, and their appetite seems down. They're not lethargic, they're bathing and grooming happily. I have not wormed. We just moved a month ago to a new house with a lot more land and they were gobbling up the tops of the uncut grass.

I just lost everything I typed.

But anyway probably why your not seeing them eat much in feed is because if given the chance Geese will pretty much live on grass. You just have to make sure it isn't too long.

They like soft grasses.

It's hard to tell with water fowl alone if they are sick by looking at poop unless there is blood or you actually see worms but there are certain worms that can't be seen so at 2 yrs I'd def worm them, I'll get you the thread going for it and you can post questions about what is best to use and how much you'll need to guesstimate weight or know it so you can get the right dosage. I use Safe Guard for goats but you can also use paste for horses. and since you only have the 2 geese that maybe the way to go. But @casportpony is my go to for meds and wormers. Thank you K

Beautiful geese by the way.
Maybe if I keep tagging her @Iain Utah will finally make an appearance. lol

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-and-wormer-misinformations-graphic-pictures
It's alot of reading but very informational.

Last edited:
@Bravado11

Welcome to BYC!

If you want to de-worm them you can give Safeguard liquid or paste at 0.23 ml per pound orally for 5 days.

If they aren't laying, they don't need laying feed because it has too much calcium, so look into getting a maintenance feed instead, maybe something like Purina Flock Raiser.

-Kathy

Ok, Miss Lydia... I'm here. :)

Bravado, your geese are lovely and look perfectly normal. I do not see anything in your pictures that would cause me concern.

Back
Top Bottom